Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.1

Chilly Willy

Established Member
I recently (a couple weeks ago) got a Dreamcast and decided to do a quick project to learn the tools used for Dreamcast homebrew. Here's the result - Doom. This is based on my PSP Doom port, which was in turn based on an older version of Doom for the Amiga I worked on.

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.1.sbi

Just run it through SBI, burn the disc image, and you're ready to start... with the shareware wad. If you wish to play the full version, copy the wad files to Inducer/iwad/ after extracting the sbi before you build the disc image. You'll find the source in there, including a patch for biosfonts in kos, and a new library for kos-ports - libWildMidi, which I use for the music.

Read the readme in the readme directory for details, like the controls... there's a LOT of controls. Features include PAL/NTSC/VGA support with various resolutions from 304x224 up to 768x480, stereo sound effects and high quality music, support for DC keyboard and mouse (not tested as I don't have those yet), network support (also not tested as I don't have a network adapter yet), and support for patch wads and DEH files.

Remember that sbi files are just zip files. If all you want to do is look at the source or read the readme, use your favorite zip tool to extract the files from the sbi file.

EDIT: Here's a quick update to v1.1.2. Fixed joystick calibration menu. Minor change to the printf function.

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.2.sbi

EDIT: Okay, v1.1.3 is here. Changes since last time: the exit is cleaner, loads/saves in-game settings, all new Doom icons for saved files, and shows player status on the VMU so that you can play without the status bar on the screen.

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.3.sbi

EDIT: v1.1.4 out - fixes problem that caused Doom to hang when a pwad was selected.

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.4.sbi

EDIT: v1.1.5 out - fixes mouse and keyboard problems. Preliminary support for force-feedback.

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.5.sbi

New version 1.1.5... it's been awhile. My old computer I used to develop on developed a problem. I've finally got another system setup to develop on.

This version fixes problems with the mouse and keyboard. It also has preliminary support for force-feedback. It's still a work in progress, so I don't recommend using it - just try it once and then wait for me to work the bugs out.

EDIT: The "wait for next version" comment is about the force-feedback, not the game in general. :D

Doom for Dreamcast v1.1.6. This has all the goodies - mouse, keyboard, and joypad controls, force-feedback (Jump Pack), stats on the VMU LCD, load/save options and games from/to VMU, allows up to four DEH and patch WAD files (Doom patches, not Boom), NTSC, PAL, and VGA support, music, and stereo sound effects. It has networking, but that's one thing I haven't been able to test yet. So give it a try! Old School Dooming at it's finest. :cool:

DCDoom-SW-CW-1.1.6.zip

Back