Dreamcast on G4tv ICONS

stack99

Established Member
😉 😉 😉 Well I did it.. I was watching g4tv today, and happened to catch their ICONS show featuring the dreamcast. It was a nice effort they started with the 1994. and the saturn. how it sold so well in japan, but did miserable here. They had the interviews with former sega exec's talking about why the saturn failed and why the dreamcast failed. Its a so so show. I would recommend to those who have g4 to watch.. its a decent attempt at showcasing the mighty mighty dreamcast, and how and why it failed. I found their comments on saturn to be the most interesting, they blamed it on "difficult" programing. The saturn was so tough to design games for and therefore it failed... while that might be true, I found that if sega brought the games that were HUGE over in japan, here.. then things might have been different. but thats my opinion. Anyway, take a look at this if you have it available. 🙂

The saturn was so tough to design games for and therefore it failed.

It wasn't so much that it was that "hard" to design games for it, it's that it was more expensive in terms of developer time and skill. Anyone who had come from an SNES/Genesis/Arcade type of programming background would probably love Saturn's architecture (as evidence I'd point to the absurd number of excellent arcade ports on Saturn). The problem is that the situation presented the industry with the choice between PSX, which had really slick high-level dev tools that any competent C programmer could pick up, and Saturn, which was pretty much designed for the type of low-level hackers that you'd have found programming all the previous systems. And since money talks, more companies went with PSX. Anyone who tells you that Saturn lost because it "wasn't designed for 3D" or "only Sega's people could really program it" is regurgitating myths with only a tenuous basis in reality. The sad fact is that Saturn was designed for the old school game industry just as the new school started taking control in the wake of the "multimedia revolution" on PC.

Back