El Viento

The game of the month for October is El Viento for the Genesis. I guess it's appropriate since it's Latino heritage month and the title of the game is in Spanish.

041a57a7-8257-4cb6-9cc3-21b592a87541.jpg

The plot is that there's a cult who wants to revive Hastur, an evil god, and take over the world. They plan to use the Empire State Building as a shrine to sacrifice a girl named Restiana to revive Hastur. Annet, the protagonist, decides to head to New York to stop the cult's ambitions.

one6.png

Annet starts off with just boomerangs and the fireball magic spell, but over the course of the game she gets stronger and stronger magical powers, such as water to kill enemies on the floor and a bomb that explodes when it hits an enemy. I really like how the controls work in this game, it's really fun to move Annet around. The biggest problem with the gameplay is that there's no invinicibility period after you get hit by an enemy, so you have to try to avoid getting stuck between enemies.
Between each level, there's Ninja Gaiden style cutscenes which expand on the plot:
elviento-cut3.png

Over the course of the game, Annet goes through 1920s America themed levels, such as the streets of New York, Mt. Rushmore, a speakeasy, and a blimp. There's also some stages with multiple themes. One level has you start out in a harbor and ride a dolphin over to a ship, but you have to blow up these enormous jellyfish before getting on the ship:
four3.png
four4.png
four5.png

Overall I would recommend El Viento. It's not perfect but it does a lot of interesting stuff. The controls are great, there's a lot of graphical flourishes where you can tell the programmers were trying to show off, and the music's pretty good (my favorite is the temple stage music). The story's kinda dumb and you can tell the developers didn't do any research about America but that just makes it more fun.
image.png

It plays like old Castlevania (except much smoother movement). The experience bar fills by killing enemies. When it fills up all the way you get a bigger HP bar.

Back