Famicom's Grand Finale

mtxblau

Mid Boss
Famicom's Grand Finale

Famicom's grand finale ranks console's top 30 games

After 20 years of entertaining gamers, the Famicom comes in for some recognition.

TOKYO--An exhibit marking the 20th anniversary--and end of production--of Nintendo's Famicom console will take place next week in Tokyo. Titled Level-X, the exhibit is sponsored by various organizations including the city of Tokyo and Tokyo Game Show organizers CESA. All 1200 Famicom titles that have been released since the debut of the console will be displayed at the exhibit, which will begin on December 4 and run through February 8 at Tokyo's Ebisu Garden Place.

As a part of the presentation, the exhibit's organizers conducted a poll seeking gamers' favorite Famicom title. The results were recently revealed and indicate that a majority of the top picks were released in 1985 and 1986, during the system's early days when the most progress in Famicom game development was being made.

The top 30 games are as follows:

1. Dragon Quest III, Enix, 1437 votes

2. Super Mario Brothers, Nintendo, 1420 votes

3. Mario Brothers, Nintendo, 887 votes

4. The Legend of Zelda, Nintendo, 838 votes

5. Dragon Quest, Enix, 770 votes

6. Dragon Quest II, Enix, 753 votes

7. Final Fantasy III, Square, 614 votes

8. Dragon Quest IV, Enix, 604 votes

9. Xevious, Namco, 590 votes

10. Ice Climber, Nintendo, 543 votes

11. Balloon Fight, Nintendo, 461 votes

12. Super Mario Brothers 3, Nintendo, 456 votes

13. Spelunker, Irem, 449 votes

14. Excitebike, Nintendo, 424 votes

15. Kung Fu, Nintendo and Irem, 423 votes

16. Tower of Druaga, Namco, 416 votes

17. Stinger, Konami, 378 votes

18. Earthbound, Nintendo, 369 votes

19. Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken, Enix, 354 votes

20. Super Mario Brothers, Nintendo, 347 votes

21. Mappy, Namco, 346 votes

22. Lode Runner, Hudson, 339 votes

23. Goonies 2, Konami, 338 votes

24. Downtown Nekketsu Monogatari (River City Ransom), Technos Japan, 327 votes

25. Bomberman, Hudson, 313 votes

26. Milon's Secret Castle, Hudson, 305 votes

27. Gradius, Konami, 299 votes

28. Gal Force, HAL Laboratory, 294 votes

29. Metroid, Nintendo, 286 votes

30. Kirby's Adventure, Nintendo and HAL Laboratory, 281 votes

Full article here.

Famicom's Grand Finale

They listed "Super Mario Bros." twice :smash The 347 vote one was prolly s'posed to be #2.

Famicom's Grand Finale

well those were some great games... i know I had fun with most of them.. :cheers

Famicom's Grand Finale

Yes, where the hell is Zombie Nation?

Who doesn't love a disembodied samurai head that kills things by vomitting and shooting out it's own eyeballs.

Famicom's Grand Finale

Originally posted by CrazyGoon+Nov 25, 2003 @ 11:06 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(CrazyGoon @ Nov 25, 2003 @ 11:06 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>They listed "Super Mario Bros." twice :smash The 347 vote one was prolly s'posed to be #2.[/b]

Yea they listed 'super mario bros' twice... and mario bros once. Aren't Super Mario Bros and Mario bros the same game? :huh

Originally posted by for your lungs only@Nov 25, 2003 @ 08:45 PM

So anyway, who wants to buy me some airfare to Tokyo?

Mail yourself there in a box... its quite cheap. And fun too :D

<!--QuoteBegin-ratfish
@Nov 25, 2003 @ 09:30 PM

Who doesn't love a disembodied samurai head that kills things by vomitting and shooting out it's own eyeballs.[/quote]

exxxactly. Now why can't game publishers realize this and push for sequels/ ripoffs? They need to update games like these, with better graphics and more gore. Fools.

---Ammut

Famicom's Grand Finale

Originally posted by Ammut@Nov 26, 2003 @ 05:22 PM

Yea they listed 'super mario bros' twice... and mario bros once. Aren't Super Mario Bros and Mario bros the same game? :huh

Super Mario Bros. is the platformer, Mario Bros. is the game that's kinda like Donkey Kong.

ss_mb-nes.gif

^ Mario Bros.

ss_smb.gif

^ Super Mario Bros.

Famicom's Grand Finale

Damn, next time my father in law goes to Tokyo, I should have him bring me as a business consultant.

Famicom's Grand Finale

Originally posted by for your lungs only@Nov 26, 2003 @ 12:27 AM

Super Mario Bros. is the platformer, Mario Bros. is the game that's kinda like Donkey Kong.

Ahh right, I figured it might be that, thanks for the clarification :)

I've never played (or seen, sadly) Mario bros. on NES, was it common in north america? I played it on the pc alot when I was a kid, but none of my friends had it on NES.

I'll have to add this game to my small but great Nes collection if I see it.

---Ammut

Famicom's Grand Finale

Originally posted by Ammut+Nov 26, 2003 @ 05:39 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ammut @ Nov 26, 2003 @ 05:39 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-for your lungs only@Nov 26, 2003 @ 12:27 AM

Ahh right, I figured it might be that, thanks for the clarification :)

I've never played (or seen, sadly) Mario bros. on NES, was it common in north america? I played it on the pc alot when I was a kid, but none of my friends had it on NES.

I'll have to add this game to my small but great Nes collection if I see it.

---Ammut [/b][/quote]

I think it was released, but I know at the time it was mostly in arcades [and back then kids went to arcades to play games before buying them all the time and having systems was so huge, ya know?]. I never owned it because my dad used to take me to the local mall [ouch] where there used to be a decent arcade and we'd play this and TMNT 3 [another game missing from the list!!!].

Famicom's Grand Finale

Wow, I quickly skimmed through the list so I didn't notice that neither TMNT arcade game made it up there, what the hell kind of rigged list is this? Sure, some good games will be missed due to the amount of games released being condensed to 30, but how could either TMNT2 or 3 not make it? :( I guess it just wasn't as popular in Japan.

Originally posted by for your lungs only@Nov 26, 2003 @ 12:44 AM

[and back then kids went to arcades to play games before buying them all the time and having systems was so huge, ya know?]

I know this all too well, my parents thought videogames were the devil or something because they wouldn't let me or my brother buy any systems. I had to go to friends' houses for my Nes/Genesis/Snes fixes. I finally broke them down when the N64 came out, and once I got that I just slipped the rest of the consoles into the house. Got the consoles I had always wanted for cheap though :)

Old people are crazy :blink: They just don't get games.

---Ammut

Famicom's Grand Finale

Originally posted by for your lungs only@Nov 26, 2003 @ 02:45 PM

So anyway, who wants to buy me some airfare to Tokyo?

I could smuggle you in but only cause j00 r teh hawt

Famicom's Grand Finale

Wow, is Dragon Quest III really THAT good, or are the Japanese just a bunch of RPG freaks? I'd have to put Zelda at no.1, followed closely by River City Ransom at no.2, Contra at no.3, and Castlevania III at no.4.

As for Maniac Mansion, I agree, but there are _no_ American games on that list. Which is to be expected I suppose- other than MM, I can't really think of any really good ones. Besides, the NES verison of MM pales in comparision to the Amiga one. ;)

Hmm.. Earthbound eh? I thought that was an SNES game. And where the hell are Crystalis and Guardian Legend?

Famicom's Grand Finale

Originally posted by it290@Nov 26, 2003 @ 07:52 PM

Hmm.. Earthbound eh? I thought that was an SNES game. And where the hell are Crystalis and Guardian Legend?

There are two Earthbound games ... in Japan, that is ......... The original was called Mother, the second, for SNES was called Mother 2. The American version of the game was called Earthbound. The NES one seems fairly similar to the SNES version, except the graphics aren't as nice and the game isn't as long [I think]. I can't tell you for sure because I've never played the original NES version because it was never released here. BUT there are rumors that Mother 1 & 2 will be released on a GBA cartridge sometime next year.

Crystalis is a really sweet RPG in leu of a mix of Zelda and Soul Blazer. Action-Adventure-ish with leveling up and character interaction, etc. It was also released as a GameBoy Color game. Both are sort of hard to find.

Back