Fucked controller ports?

You can click on all pictures on this post to get a bigger (a LOT bigger) pic.

Well, some time ago i bought a used and modded saturn for myself.. it has been behaving actually quite well since then, but there's one thing that always freaked me out - apparently, the controller ports are either giving out too much power or not enough power - for instance, if my original 3D Controller is on Slot 1, set to 3d mode, a generic controller is on Slot 2 and i boot up the system (with a action replay 4m plus on the slot), it kinda freaks out.. apparently, it keeps pressing down and start, so the selection menu stalls on a loop that goes to the start this game and then back to the main screen - that's a problem with the controller ports.

While reading that, i noticed that it's a pretty crappy description, so here's a video of it happening (mind you i'm not touching the controllers while that is happening)

http://rain.00.free.fr/pics/saturn/action_replay.mpg

It used to happen a lot more when i didn't have original controllers plugged on both ports.. now that i do, it doesn't happen as much.

Also, I can't use the gun pictured below. Yeah, it's not a official one (it's both PSX and SAT Compatible), but ingame it behaves exactely like i described before - apparently, the ports freak out and detect down/start being pressed incessantly.

The gun (as you can notice on the bigger picture) has a small led that lights up when you fire... well, at least on the first shots.. after that, the light seems dimmed and after a few more shots, it just stops lighting up, and when i mean a few, i mean like 2-3.. if i unplug and then replug it on the fly, the light lights up again, but only for 2-3 shots again.. and the game is on crazy looping mode, believing that down+start (or other buttons, i'm not sure) are being pressed.. thus, my deduction of dodgy power source from the connectors...

While i'm aware that voltages on non-official devices are not always correct, the gun works flawlessly on on my friend's saturn. (on a little sidenote, the movie you guys saw before was made with the gun connected. Funny enough, I couldn't reproduce it with the 3d controller and original controller anymore.. :D)

That has been happening since I bought it, but it took a while to notice..

Anyway, yesterday i popped it open to fix the eject key (which was annoying me since it was getting stuck), and i found out this modchip in it:

the entire thing

front of the mod

back of the mod

Sorry about the pics, i don't want to remove it from where it is.

Again, remember, you can click on the pics for a bigger and better version of them.

One thing i noticed is that it only has 1 wire (the power wire) while the other one (which i'm not sure what it does) it's not there, nor it's looped back to the mod...

Also, i see no kind of shielding between the mod and the metal plate - even tho only the board of the mod touches the metal parts of the saturn - and only a little.. still, i did read somewhere on a guide that it was needed.. so i dunno?

Also, I have no idea which modchip or saturn is this - as i said, i bought it used. Could anybody identify it?

If anyone cares, it's a tectoy model produced down in Brazil, with round buttons.

So, i'm wondering, the controller problem could be related to any of those facts? Did anybody ever experienced a similar problem to the saturn controller ports?

Can anybody identify my saturn/modchip? (as in how many pins is it)?

And, most importantly, is anything wrong with it's installation? (i'd guess not, since everything - original or not - works in it flawlessly)..

I've never seen a mod like that before. Not that that means much. ;)

Does the controller freak out thing happen when you don't have the Action Replay connected?

Back