Game Gear TV tuner

schi0249

Mid Boss
Does the TV tuner only support aerial service? Or is there anyway to connect it to cable service. I work sundays at my new job, and i'm alone. We have active ctv in the building, but i'm not near a tv. And I doubt I would get any aerial service, my cell has almost none.

Yes, IIRC it just has an antenna and no inputs. Of course you could probably hack that to rig it up to coax if you wanted to, but your channel selection would be limited and it might not be pretty.

The TV tuner has an AV input jack on it. It's a 1/8 headphone jack, so you just need an RCA to 1/8in converter, and then you can plug the AV out from a VCR or cable/dish tuner into the the game gear.

You could make your own Nomad using it.

Just get a Genesis 3 and a UPS (battary back-up). Use the UPS to power the Genesis (my 1250VA UPS powers 2 computers and a 19in monitor for 45 minutes, so I figure it should power a Genesis for about 10 days straight.). You'll put that in a strong backpack.

Then duct-tape the genesis 3 to the back of the Game Gear, and use the AV cable + converter to plug it into the tuner.

And viola, you've got a Nomad.

Hmm. The Genesis and Game Gear use the same AC adapter, I wonder if the Car Adapter for the game gear would work on the Genesis. Then if you were in a car, you could even do without the UPS.

But I've always thought that would be cool to do one of these days. Go on a camping trip with a fully powered 1250 UPS in your backpack... roughing it as they say.

Um, you'd still need to be able to control the Genesis. Or would you just duct-tape a control pad to the front of the GG? ;)

Originally posted by the jedi master

Hmm. The Genesis and Game Gear use the same AC adapter, I wonder if the Car Adapter for the game gear would work on the Genesis. Then if you were in a car, you could even do without the UPS.

Si Senor... You can. When I drove tractor trailor I brought my genny and my DC with me all the time. The Power Inverter I had only had enough power to run the TV and DC (and just barely... I would have to turn on the DC then turn on the inverter as the power peak of the DC was to much for the inverter except when the inverter started it peaked higher and could start up the DC... heh). So I plugged the Genny into the cigarette lighter to play that. Nothing like cruising down the highway at 80 MPH with a tv on the passenger seat and a copy of Shining Force playing... WOOT!

[edit] nah I'm kidding... I would only play it when I wasn't driving. But I would be on the phone, reading a map, and filling out paperwork all at the same time driving down the road... damn tight schedules!

Back