Genesis Development: Sprite Tuts

I'm embarrassed to say the graphic sprites were shamelessly taken from Advance Wars 2 :blush: I took all the parts of a given total sprite (ex: the entire wrench) and put them together as one image. Converted the colors to fit the genesis palette restrictions with Photoshop (Convert the image to Indexed Color, making sure the colors don't exceed 16, with less if possible to save room) and then saved the image as an 8-bit .BMP. I then loaded the image into Kaneda's BMP2TILE tool (latest version - 6.0) and used the tool to save the palette and the tiles (in sprite mode) into a .asm file.

The .asm file could then be extern'd into the program easily (bmp2tile is an excellent tool, latest version is very nice).

The dithering has an odd (but not entirely unpleasant) effect on the image; I couldn't tell if you had "traced" it somehow or had ripped/scaled/dithered it...

The image on the Genesis is stretched. If you get far in your project, would you later go back and optimize graphics for the color palette? At any rate, that's still very cool considering how long you've been at this. Homebrew is teh cool.

Are you gonna temporarily "borrow" graphics from advance wars? Just don't let it get released in that condition, or there's a chance certain companies might disappear you. :ph34r:

Both scaled and dithered. I'm currently redoing it now smothing out all the nasty little dots left over from the dithering. It really didn't turn out too horrible when you consider how many colors the GBA background palette can have and did have for this background heh. But yeah, there are several weird spots on it, they are quite visible on an actual TV, working on it though.

Alexvrb: Yeah, I hope to redo everything to be custom if I am going to release it to the public (if it ever ends up getting that far :D). I would like to make a nearly perfect clone, but I know its not legally possible and plan to create, or have other help me create some custom graphics for the project.

Back