Getting CDRs to be read on an OLD CDROM Drive

racketboy

Established Member
I have an old Thinkpad that has a CD Drive that has problems reading CDRs.

In Windows it can usually read them, but it can be a little reluctant and can also be very slow and give read errors.

But if I boot into DOS, I always get Abort, Retry, Fail errors when trying to read a CDR.

Factory pressed media seems to work fine.

Think is, I want to install Linux on the machine, but all I have with me is a distro on a CDR. I also would like to be able to read other disks too, so don't just teach me how to install other ways.

Is there a certain burning process that would help.

Or maybe a certain type of media?

Right now I'm using Fujis. They have a blueish bottom.

1x burn speed mebbe? the only thing i can think is that since its an old drive it might be picky with fast burns?

Originally posted by Raijin Z@Jun 13, 2003 @ 12:12 AM

The burn mode is more important than the speed, but some drives just CAN'T read CDRs.

it will read it in Windows -- just not real well

I'll try the lower speed.

BTW, the drive always makes weird sounds with CDRs too -- very strange

OK, I tried burning another copy at 1X to see if that helps -- it doesn't.

I also tried reading an Imation disc that is also a faily light color with just a hint of green/yellow. It didn't work.

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Jun 13, 2003 @ 04:13 AM

If using the best brand cdr's out there doesnt work nothing will.

as in Fuji?

I have a feeling no CDRs are gonna work -- the bad sounds give me a bad feeling.
sad.gif

I'm gonna take the Thinkpad to work and see if I can take the HD out (not sure how to do that), put it in my USB enclosure, and put the install files on there, and then put it back in the machine. Or something of that sort.

What ISO settings did you use when you burned to CD-R?

This setting is good.
smile.gif

iso9660_good.gif

If you enabled any of the highlighted areas below, then you'll see the warning message at the bottom.
ohmy.gif

iso9660_bad.gif

Firstly, poke around the thinkpad website for the service manual - it'll tell you how to remove it. The newer models are as easy as removing an external panel... for my older thinkpad, it was a nightmare.

Before you stick it in the USB enclosure, make sure you have the adapter (unless the enclosure does have one).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...&category=31537

I've had this similar issue (actually, I didn't have CDRom drive for my thinkpad - 365XD), what I did was make two partitions, and with the adapter placed all the install files on the second partition. Then I booted up, formatted the primary partition, and installed. Worked great. I imagine one partition would be fine as well (I used a parallel port adapter to do this - tricky business).

Back