Having landlord issues...

slinga

Established Member
Hey guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble with my landlord. I'm been living in my apartment since beginning of October. I signed the lease that day, and the landlord said he would make me a photocopy. He still has not provided that photocopy, and I've bugged him on multiple occassions. I've even asked for a copy to be emailed\mailed to me. About a month ago, my sink was clogged, and I notified him about it. He fixed it last week, and is deciding to charge me half the cost of the parts. Generally speaking, isn't this on the landlard to repair? Without a copy of the lease I guess there's no way to be sure.

Also, is it legal for a landlord to say in the lease that he can have renters come in to view the property at any time? As it is now, real estate agents are in and out of my apartment a lot, usually without me even knowing. I'm guessing because the place is lived in, and I'm a _GUY_, he's having trouble renting. The place is a bit messy, (not disgustingly messy), and I cleaned its spotlessly since the landlord complained. How ever, he said he's sending a cleaning lady over, which I'm assuming he's going to bill me for. What are my rights in this situation? Anybody have any similiar experiences? I'm sure the first one of the landlord not giving the lease is fairly common.

Any advice? I'm screwed 8 ways to Sunday, he has the lease, my security deposit, and i'm only in the place 2 weeks in January, so it's not like I can not pay or something. Help me please.

Edit: I'm in the state of Maryland.

They should have given you a copy of the lease on the spot.

I have always gotten it the same time I signed it.

I have never heard of having to pay for anything in terms of repairs. Very strange.

But it is fairly common for them to be able to come in if they need to. They shouldn't make a habit of it for kicks or anything, but its supposed to be for instances like if you have a major leak that they need to get to when you're out.

I called him up again after posting, and he pretty much admits to doing everything off the book. He claims it's because we did everything last minute and I have no credit to speak to off. He also claims that he's giving me a discount on the place, even though it's $150 more a month then the last person who rented it (he was not the owner then). He's an idiot, and hopefully I can avoid suing him.

Since a lease is a contract, they have to provide you a copy. In most states, there is a specified amount of time they are legally required to provide you when entering your apartment without your request. For example, in Minnesota, they have to give you a minimum of a 24 hour notice, even if entering for general maintenance. However, if you notify them something is broken, that is a request from you, and they can enter. I highly doubt they have any legal grounds for charging you for maintenance or a cleaning lady. However, if while repairing, they find damage caused by you they can charge you. In my lease, if I put something down the disposale and clog the lines I have to pay for a plumber.

Your best source of info will be the attorney general's office. They usually have rental rights info they can provide you. And if the owner isn't following the law, they are the ones you will want to go on.

Best of luck.

Another thing you could do is call an attorney that specializes in renters rights. You can usually find one that gives you a free consultation but if not, then many will do a consultation for less than $100. $100 is very cheap compared to what your evil landlord could do to you without knowing your rights.

Evil landlords suck.

I had one about 8 years ago that just let himself into our place (we never found out why) and set the alarm off. The dickhead didn't know how to turn it off! :lol:

Have the locks rekeyed.

It will keep from entering whenever he wants to.

And if he comes by, or has an agent come by and they can't get in, and he tries to give you s@#$, tell him that until he provides you with a copy of the lease, he doesn't get a new key.

Put it in a letter once you have this runin with the landlord and send it in the mail, certified-restricted signature. State in the letter that due to him not providing a copy of the lease, not providing 24 hour notice of needing accesss, etc....(if its law in Maryland, I believe it is, I used to live there)... he is in breach of contract and that your next course of action will be thru legal means.

I've had a landlord before that started letting themselves in to show the place or snoop and wasn't giving notice. They walked in one Friday when I was home sick. I told them to leave, and I proceeded to immediately rekey all the locks.

They gave me crap and I told them that by state law they had to provide 24 hours notice. They tried to get huffy and said they could come on whatever day of the week they wanted without notice.

So I put in everything in writing as to the phone conversations, (I even worked it out to work everyday from home on laptop, because they knew what kind of crap the landlord was trying to pull).

I stated in the letter that I conducted my job from home and that I would not be bothered at my place of employment unless I specifically requested them for maintenance to fix something, or if they gave 24 hours notice, it would have to be during nonbusiness hours. They backed off, I gave them a key, and worked from home for 1 a month straight to see if they would try to get back in. They didn't.

I was also lucky in the fact that at that point in time I had lived there past the initial 12 months on the signed lease and was just month to month on the lease. I gave my 30 days notice, worked from home for that month, moved, and ended up buying a house.

But almost had to take them to small claims court to get the security deposit back.

Whatever you do, you should put everything in writing and start recording your phone conversations with them, so you have a paper trail of thing....

Thx for all the advice guys. My landlord came yesterday and dropped off the a copy of the lease. I'm going to take it to the legal department at work and see what they say. As for as keying all the locks and stuff like that, it would make sense if I was staying for a year. I'm only in the apartment another month.

Back