Ikonboard 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
After months of incessant nagging from Fabrizo and even more putting off on my part I've decided to ask you guys what you'd like.

Basically we can either stay as we are or upgrade to IB3. IB3 has a lot of nice new features, but I personally prefer the layout of our current IB.

What would you like us to do? Upgrade or stay as we are?

If you do decide that you'd like to upgrade, should we keep the post totals (including the old SX totals from when the board was started) or reset them back to 0? Remember, if we were to reset the boards, everyone would have to register again.

Lemme know!

IB3 is nice, but really not worth the upgrade, it's just like upgrading to the newest version of AOL. I say stay with the current layout.

I vote for IB3. Just import (read: copy) the settings from the SX IB3 like y'all did when setting up this board. Then import the posts and users from this board and modify away until you like what you see.

Hmm, I think ill show you what I told Karny on Mirc:

----------------------------
Me: "You know Karny, the message board is realy messed up"

1. Their are two general sections. Under one is the General forum, and under the other is the Buy/Sell/Trade forum.
2. SX's temporary message board is still on NX despite the fact that SX's board went back up more then a month ago.
3. everyone has odd post counts, even the people who have never even been to NX have posts.

The solution to these problems I belive is to start work on an Icon Board 3 for NX. No messages or accounts would be brought over, except of course those that are known to post, such as the admins, moderators, and people like cww80, JDAdams, and Onnichiwa, which are known to post. In other words, a complete restart of the boards.

While thats being done, certain sections should also be added like the ones I talked about in the NX team forum. Things like "Tech help" and "Game help" sections. This will obviously take up a lot of time, but in the end it could be well worth it, especialy if we can get some help with it from someone like Arakon who created the SX Icon Board 3.

After it is all finnished and working properly, the normal IB2 should be kept up for aproximatly one month, after which it would be closed down, but (and this is still just an idea) made into a downloadable file for people to use as reference.

-----------------------------
Now you know what I basicly have in mind for IB3.

Okay... its decided then.... IkonBoard 3 it is.

This is not going to happen over nite. I have a full-time job and a full-time girlfriend.. both of which are incredibly demanding on my time.

I might however open it in beta form as soon as i have it installed... at least then we can start moving across...

Some of these guys don't post too much even on the current board so why would it matter? Should their votes count?

It has already been decided but I would have voted no. It seems like this kinda change would appeal to upgrade whores. *pardon my French*

I would rather not register again. I already do enough reregistering on other boards because of in-fighting, hosting, etc. This week some cyberbattle over irc caused the board I'm a reg at to lose their host. Now they're back with a former host which uses anti-ad blocker.

(Edited by calganagain at 11:43 pm on July 5, 2002)

Calganagain: "Should their votes count?"
Me: Why wouldn't they? Very few people post on this board, and thus those who do, have their opinions on matters that much more respected.

calganagain: "It seems like this kinda change would appeal to upgrade whores"
Me: 1. Are you calling everyone who voted "yes" a whore? 2. Why didn't you vote earlyer if thats how you feel?

calganagain: "I would rather not register again"
Me: The registration process doesn't take more then a few minutes, and its not like this is very likly to happen again.

Why not just upgrade to the version of ikonboard like this one but with larger avatars and has the facility to let you type in an address of a page that has your own avatar?

Calganagain: "Should their votes count?"
Me: Why wouldn't they? Very few people post on this board, and thus those who do, have their opinions on matters that much more respected.

Any kind of changes would affect those who do post. Were they given a special alert? Why bother with the opinions of absentee posters?
calganagain: "It seems like this kinda change would appeal to upgrade whores"
Me: 1. Are you calling everyone who voted "yes" a whore? 2. Why didn't you vote earlyer if thats how you feel?
This whole thing started July 3rd, the day before the fourth of July. What do you think I was doing?
calganagain: "I would rather not register again"
Me: The registration process doesn't take more then a few minutes, and its not like this is very likly to happen again.
This place is dead. Give me a reason I could buy for re-registering.

Fabrizo where are you from? I highly doubt Florida.

(Edited by calganagain at 8:31 am on July 6, 2002)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back