Is it possible to play Game Gear games on Genesis?

Dud

Established Member
Is there a converter for this? They've got the Power Base Converter for Genesis, there's a third party thing for playing Master System games on Game Gear, it seems like there should be an adapter for playing Game Gear gamese on Genesis. I really want to play some of those old Sonic Game Gear games, but I don't want to get a Game Gear again, I hate portables.

No.

Mainly due to the Color Pallete.

The Game Gear can display up to 52 colors, from a 4096 pallete.

I don't know how many it can display (I believe it's 52), but I do know how many colors there are in all.

The MegaDrive can display up to 64 different colors, but I do not understand the relation with the GameGear palette.

Ask someone else (yes, not Cloud).

Yeah, I'm not the most intelligent guy when it comes to game hardware...

:lol: :p

I know about the whole pallete deal. Both the MD's (64/512) and GG's (??/4096)

But I actually think the color pallete is the main reason as to why there was no adaptor.

Where's that Sega Visions letter...

ok, i dont know alot but for those who do, how difficult would it be for someone with the resources to write a chip that would take in the code and look for the what colors are going to displayed and then shrink it to the new pallette. You will decide every 8X8 block of colors on the gg's pallette would be a 1X1 color on the SMS.

This atleast would save the basic color of the sprites. Sonic might not be shaded real pretty but atleast hes still blue.

The actual data conversion is not so difficult - just throw away the low bits of each color and rearrange the high bits to match the SMS palette layout; this part could be done with just wiring. The biggest problem is that a CRAM write on Game Gear is two bytes whereas it is only one byte on SMS. Since these are 8-bit systems this means you have to design a circuit that "catches" one of these cycles and then generates a cycle after the second one. This is not hugely difficult if the VDP's /CS signal can be found but there are probably some subtle problems that would need to be dealt with.

Back