It's tough being a Sega fan...

Cloud121

Established Member

Boy is it tough being a Sega fan. As a recently converted Sega fanboy (as of August 2000, when I got my Saturn), whenever someone brings up consoles, I get bashed left and right, simply because of my love for the Genny/MD (December 1990), Saturn (August 2000), 32x (August 2001), Sega/Mega CD (November 2001) and Dreamcast (January 2002).

Another thing, it's tough reading gaming magazines nowadays. We're seeing all of our beloved Sega games going to non-Sega consoles. I don't have a problem with XBox (it's just an Upgraded Dreamcast, in my view, just look at Sega's library for it), but seeing my beloved Virtua Fighter (been playing it for seven years and counting) and Phantasy Star remakes (been a die-hard PS fan for a little more than a year now) going to the only console I've EVER disliked, or even hated (PoS2), it just really pains me.

Brings me to another point. PoS2 fanboys. Thanks to Sony's arrogance, and marketing (I like to call it brainwashing), we got all these fanboys to deal with. Whenever I'm talking about Phantasy Star, and I say "PSIV" they're always like "PlayStation 4?". A LOT of kids at my school, make fun of my DC fandom. In fact, here's the newest one I heard today:

Dan: Hey Dylan, what's black, and smells like shit?

Myself: *shrug*

Dan: My Dreamcast after I lit it on fire.

Now, I have a VERY strong feeling that Dan doesn't have have a DC. I don't have a problem with Dan for the most part, he's cool about 2/3 of the time. Drew (the one person I have sworn to kill in my life, I will not rest in peace, until I know he's dead), the most stuck-up rich-kid you will EVER meet, really hits me hard. It's bad enoug he makes fun of my Sega fandom. Sure, he doesn't do it as much anymore, but with the recent resignation of Iowa State Head Coach Larry Eustachy (Farewell old friend...
sad.gif
) he's found even more reason to give me hell. He is a prime example as to why I hate Iowa Hawkeye fans. I like the school, team, etc. but it's the fans I shall forever hate.

Okay... I'm getting way off topic. One thing that I can remember that %&%%^*(^$#%$#%^&%$^#$*%^$&%*&)^^&%*%^&*^%$#%$@$%!$*)()_+ (that's being kind) saying was:

Drew: Hey Dylan, last night I had to go, so I took a dump on my Dreamcast.

Now he actually HAS a DC! Now, I'm sure he didn't do it, but... bah.. enough about my Mortal Enemy (I only wish I could Megido his ass....).

I have never run into a Sega fanboy. My best friend, who loves the Shining Force series to death, has a Genny/MD, only he's a Sony fanboy at heart. I love him like a brother, however, his fanboyism really irks me. Although he's a big fan of Virtua Tennis 2K2 on DC (last I saw him, a couple weeks ago, we played Street Mode in NBA 2K2 hours on end). Another somewhat friend of mine, has almost every console imaginable, loves Sonic to death, and is partial to all systems (although he is anti-XBox, simply because it's Microsoft, he's a fellow Mac user like myself
smile.gif
). Greg's the kinda person I like.

Any of you here on SX have similar stories to tell, of how tough it i being a Sega fan?

Dan: Hey Dylan, what's black, and smells like shit?

Myself: *shrug*

Dan: My Dreamcast after I lit it on fire.

laugh.gif
Never heard that b4, that joke sounds very nerdish ... anyways it really doesn´t matter what other people say about your consoles as long as you have fun playing them theres no problem at all.

It is tough, I would know.

My screen name was originally what my friends mocked me with. They used it to refer to my Sega fanboyish glee, at which I would then crawl away in a corner and caress my Yu Suzuki chibi plush doll and talk to him about how we and Sega would make them all suffer one day...some day....

when ppl are like "I just got a PS2, blah blah blah" and all that happy bullshit and they are all proud of it and shiz. I just tell em that I am sorry. They truely don't know what they are missin, seriously. I dont mind a SEGA game commin out for GCN or XBox, as you said the Box is just an updated DC, I agree. but what REALLY pisses me off, is when they are exclusive to PS2. For one, it's a piece of shit system, and 2, everything about it sux and it only has 1-3 games that would make u wanna buy the system. but ya, enuf of my rant....I just hope more games aren't exclusive to PS2....anyone wanna start a HUGE-ASS petition? I will sign it....a few times. Lata all.

AMEN regarding the PS2! It's by far the oldest of the Big Three and is beginning to get outdated, plain and simple. But I'll tell ya what bugs ME... it's when one game I'd love to play comes out exclusive to the XBox (i.e. PD Orta) and another is going to be exclusive to the Cube (i.e. Billy Hatcher)... I would consider buying one new system to continue getting new games, but not TWO of them. Having to make this kind of decision sucks.

You can play any movie on any DVD player, listen to any CD on any stereo, -- even use most of the same software on any PC (in that one aspect, Microsoft's Windows monopoly turns out to be a good thing) -- but how come you can't play ANY GAME YOU WANT on whichever console you buy?

Originally posted by Taelon@May 12, 2003 @ 04:27 PM

AMEN regarding the PS2! It's by far the oldest of the Big Three and is beginning to get outdated, plain and simple. But I'll tell ya what bugs ME... it's when one game I'd love to play comes out exclusive to the XBox (i.e. PD Orta) and another is going to be exclusive to the Cube (i.e. Billy Hatcher)... I would consider buying one new system to continue getting new games, but not TWO of them. Having to make this kind of decision sucks.

You can play any movie on any DVD player, listen to any CD on any stereo, -- even use most of the same software on any PC (in that one aspect, Microsoft's Windows monopoly turns out to be a good thing) -- but how come you can't play ANY GAME YOU WANT on whichever console you buy?

that was the goal of the 3DO systems,

Actually... Microsoft's Windows monopoly, is NOT a good thing. Never has been, never will be. But, I don't wanna turn this into a Mac (Macs Rule) vs Windows debate.

Anyway... I cannot stand the PoS2. I love the PSX, it's one of my favorite consoles, has one of the best game libraries ever. The PoS2, on the other hand, has a good library of games, but not enough must-haves like PSX, Saturn, or Dreamcast. For me it's Virtua Fighter, and the Phantasy Star remakes. Just because Square is supporting it, doesn't mean I'll love it. Okay okay.... I still have a bit of Square fanboyism left in me (although I've kicked the Final Fantasy habit). The only Square game I'm interested in is Kingdom Hearts (have yet to play even a second of it) and Parasite Eve Rebirth (the best franchise Square has going). I don't care about Final Fantasy, until FFXII. FFX-2 has me running scared. It's gonna suck ass. I thought it'a supposed to be a sequel to FFX. Not a game just to please all the Rikku fanboys, with three main characters half-naked, and running around ala Tomb Raider (jumping, climbing, etc.) although my beloved ATB makes a comeback. I fear nothing but the worst for FFX-2. Although Paine (the new chick) is HOT! Yes, I am a Paine fanboy. Along with Quistis, and Lulu. Bah.. enough of this....

The reason why I want a GameCube is obvious, Metroid Prime (been a Metroid fanboy for almost ten years),Rouge Squadron 3, and SonicTeam. Chances are, if SonicTeam does a Phantasy Star V (PLEASE DO IT!!!!), it'll go to GameCube, although the remakes are going to PoS2. Hm....

XBox, as I've stated before, is really just a Upgraded Dreamcast (I will not call it Dreamcast 2, simply because, using the same name twice, only slapping on a number to it, is just plain stupid). Look at Sega's library for it! NFL/NBA 2K (which I will only play on DC and XBox, it was made famous on DC, it should stay on DC, Madden started sucking after the 93 edition), Crazy Taxi, House of The Dead, Jet Set/Grind Radio. Sega GT, Shenmue, Panzer Dragoon, and I'm sure I'm missing others.

As for the petition thing, I'm all for it. I may help very little, but you never know what may happen!

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 13, 2003 @ 01:24 AM

But, I don't wanna turn this into a Mac (Macs Rule) vs Windows debate.

Trust me, if there is anything a Mac user hates, it's those arguements. It's a mother fucking operating system for christ's sake!

It comes down to hardware too, but we won't go into that either.
wink.gif

Originally posted by Cloud121@May 13, 2003 @ 02:24 AM

Anyway... I cannot stand the PoS2.

Blah blah blah. Shall we dig up the post where you wanted one PS2 at your dad's house and one at your mom's?

Originally posted by antime+May 13, 2003 @ 04:42 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(antime @ May 13, 2003 @ 04:42 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-Cloud121@May 13, 2003 @ 02:24 AM

Anyway... I cannot stand the PoS2.

Blah blah blah. Shall we dig up the post where you wanted one PS2 at your dad's house and one at your mom's? [/b][/quote]

Maybe had a change of heart?

By the way, I have a PS2, and I cannot believe how shitty most of the games are. The only game that has been keeping me entertained is Grand Theft Auto - Vice. Sighs.

Grand Theft Auto... see, there's one I forgot. I did play GTA3 for a couple hours at someone's place and really liked it.. but it, too, is the only PS2 game I care for - that and Tomb Raider NG (sorry, I'm a TR fanboy) but at least TRNG will be out on PC, too, and I'm _going_ to have a beefy PC by then.
tongue.gif

But you see my point. One or two cool games on each of three consoles. That just blows.

BTW, it bothers me when the XBox is called an Upgraded Dreamcast. I don't know how that ever started. Apart from all the Sega games on the Box, its hardware is nothing like the DC's. nVidia vs. PowerVR, SH4 vs. P-III... What gives?

Originally posted by Taelon+May 14, 2003 @ 11:41 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Taelon @ May 14, 2003 @ 11:41 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>But you see my point. One or two cool games on each of three consoles. That just blows.[/b]

Heheh, I hate that sooooooo much.

EDIT: I think I speak for most, when I say, if I could, I would buy all 3. But for now, it's just Gamecube (and probably will be for a long time). I wish SEGA would port PDO over the the cube.

<!--QuoteBegin-Taelon
@May 14, 2003 @ 11:41 AM

BTW, it bothers me when the XBox is called an Upgraded Dreamcast.[/quote]

We have yet to see if SEGA merges with Microsoft. Maybe the Xbox II will be redubbed, Dreamcast Xtreme or some crazy thing.

Cloud, I used to be a Final Fantasy fanboy also. All the way up to X (never owned a PS2, played the game at a friend's house). I kicked the habit recently (hate it how FFXI is not in the states).

EDIT: I still admire games by Square, esp. the Secret of Mana, Saga Frontier, and Parasite Eve games(love the 2d artwork). By the way, I think I'll get Secret of Mana when it comes to the GBA, looks like the SoM team has made a great game again.

Honestly if you can't find more than one or two games that you like on a particular console then you're really not looking hard enough. I've found many good games I like on each system (many on ps2, a bunch on xbox and not as many on gc). You need to look into the lesser known games that you don't see million dollar ads for. I bough ICO for ps2 for a couple bucks and loved it. Same thing with ZOE. And being a mech head I also quite enjoyed Gungriffon blaze (especially since I like the Saturn originals).

Back