Just started playing Sonic 1 again and...

I still like the sonic and knuckles ones where you gotta hit all the little sphere things and turn em red.

EDIT: Holey crap I got 3000 posts... when did that happen

Ya know, I discovered a nice thing about the 3rd special stage: as soon as it starts, put down the controller and just watch 🙂 Most of the times it will take at least a minute or 5 before you either die or get the emerald. I don't know why, but you usually don't even die when you touch the red goal things the first few times.

Discovered this when I was 11 or so, reached that stage, dinner was ready at the moment the stage started, was hungry, so forgot to pause. When I came back 15 mins later I had the emerald 🙂

I still like the sonic and knuckles ones where you gotta hit all the little sphere things and turn em red.

I hate those. I could never get the hang of the later stages, and thus, I'm ashamed to say, I've never gotten all the Chaos/Hyper Emeralds (I think they were 'hyper' anyway..) in S3&K. The Sonic 2 special stages are the most fun IMHO, but S1 gives me that special nostalgic feeling and I can generally breeze through the specials pretty easily. The only frustrating thing is that you get a few less chances to do so vs. S2 and 3.

Originally posted by it290@Jan 6, 2004 @ 02:00 AM

I hate those. I could never get the hang of the later stages, and thus, I'm ashamed to say, I've never gotten all the Chaos/Hyper Emeralds (I think they were 'hyper' anyway..) in S3&K.

there is 2 lots of emeralds in s3&k.

after collecting all the chaos emeralds you return to the emerald garden in mushroom hill. your emeralds are transformed into the hyper emeralds and you then have to go through another lot of much harder bonus stages to get them.

however it is rewarding becuase with all hyper emeralds knuckles and tails can also become invincible.

if you dont want to go through the difficulty though sonic jam allows you to make it piss easy.

ok ok. I have to admit this. I don't like sonic. I think it is horrible. It is so linear. I always lose interest and stop on level 2, the boring futuristic world. IF i must play the many side scrollers, I chose Gunstarr heroes or something with more interaction.

Sonic has its charm -- for example, the tapping foot while he is waiting was novel during its time, but the game is surely not perfect.

Originally posted by WiseMan+Jan 10, 2004 @ 01:01 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(WiseMan @ Jan 10, 2004 @ 01:01 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-it290@Jan 6, 2004 @ 02:00 AM

I hate those. I could never get the hang of the later stages, and thus, I'm ashamed to say, I've never gotten all the Chaos/Hyper Emeralds (I think they were 'hyper' anyway..) in S3&K.

there is 2 lots of emeralds in s3&k.

after collecting all the chaos emeralds you return to the emerald garden in mushroom hill. your emeralds are transformed into the hyper emeralds and you then have to go through another lot of much harder bonus stages to get them. [/b][/quote]

I find the hardest sphere special stages were those from plain Sonic 3. The S3&K ones were simple.

Anyway, I tried that 'hands of controller' technique in the 3rd special stage of Sonic. Didn't get the emerald, though 🙁

ok ok. I have to admit this. I don't like sonic. I think it is horrible. It is so linear. I always lose interest and stop on level 2, the boring futuristic world. IF i must play the many side scrollers, I chose Gunstarr heroes or something with more interaction.

I think you're talking about Sonic 2- I'm the reverse, I just keep saying 'ok ok-- one more zone' until I've beaten the game. Or I just sit there trying to beat my best time on a given level. The only exception is the original Sonic, where I often get bored in Spring Hill or the Labyrinth Zone - Zones 2, 3, and 4 are just so slow paced in that game. S3&K is a little long to play in one sitting, but not too bad. That's why I think Sonic 2 is the ideal Sonic game -- you can get from start to finish in about a half an hour, and have a hell of a time doing it!

I still think Sonic 2's specials were sweet

I was floored when I first played them cause they were so much like 3D

They were long tube like levels with sonic running into the screen. You have to reach goals with a certain number of rings to progress.

Originally posted by axelblazeadam@Jan 10, 2004 @ 05:22 PM

They were long tube like levels with sonic running into the screen. You have to reach goals with a certain number of rings to progress.

and it also had awesome music. 🙂

I think Sonic 2 is one of the very best Megadrive's games (except maybe the special stages)

Great music for this console, awesome graphics (for a weak palette), great animations, excellent level-design...

Sonic 1 is great too.

I hated Sonic 3.

i definatley would say Sonic 2 is the ultimate megadrive "must have".

i think it represents classic megadrive 16bit gaming in every example and no collection should be without it. Much the same as Streets of Rage 2 also.

urbain03 what issues do you have with Sonic 3? my personal feeling is that Sonic 3 is an absoloute masterpiece of graphics and traditional platformer gameplay and especially when combined with Sonic & Knuckles.

Sonic 3 would have to be one of the highest quality pieces of software produced for the megadrive undoubtedly.

I bought it when it came out (the cartridge was heavy and the game was expensive!) and i didn't enjoy it as much as the previous games...

I didn't like the graphics... most of the levels are ugly if you compare to Sonic 1 & 2 and the colors are badly selected. I know the Genesis can't display much colors but games like Sonic 1, Sonic 2, Quackshot or Castle of Illusion manage the problem very well!... and it's not the case in most of S3 levels... For example: the first and the last levels are just awful!

Also, the level design is poor (except maybe for the Hydrocity Zone -the only beautiful stage- and Icecap zone)

And the soundtrack is horrible if you compare it to the previous episodes where it was just splendid, almost magic...

i stand by sonic 3. my opinion was that it made excellent use of the palette and looks far far superior to sonic 1 or 2. music wise i'd say its better also.

the hyrdocity zone is the zone i find plain and boring and i cant get out of it quick enough! carnival night is a bit shit as well.

Back