KOF 2004, Metal Slug 6, Samurai Spirits AW

racketboy

Established Member
Not totally NEO-GEO news, but it's SNK stuff.

SPOnG reports on some of the new games from SNK due out in the near future.

SNK Playmore has added some meat to the bones of its belated move away from the beloved though antiquated Neo Geo MVS arcade system, with three new titles now penned in for Sammy's Dreamcast-based AtomisWave platform.

The games are King of Fighters 2004, as revealed at last year's Tokyo Games Show, Metal Slug 6, and yet another Samurai Spirits game, codenamed Samurai Spirits AtomisWave (AW) at this moment in time.

The move away from MVS reflects both the demands of consumers, as well as the expectations of Sony Computer Entertainment America in equal proportions. Although the King of Fighters series performs consistently well on the arcade parlour floor, other offerings have suffered.

It's also worth pointing out that several of SNK's recent submissions to SCEA were rejected on various grounds, though mainly because Sony doesn't believe that a market exists for games created for a pre-1990 platform. Metal Slug and Samurai Spirits were both knocked back, though we have been informed by SNK that talks are ongoing as to the future of 'Spirits.

By utilising the AtomisWave platform, SNK will be able to port 3D games directly from its arcade code, making conversions to current home consoles much more palatable.

Sounds interesting.

So I guess these are all going "3D"?

Hope they make the transition well.

Will be nice to see some SNK games with better graphics, but I think I would prefer hi-res 2D. But I'm excited to see talk of more console ports.

Originally posted by Des-ROW@Feb 20, 2004 @ 05:02 PM

Atomiswave does not mean 3D, remember the Guilty Gear series...

By utilising the AtomisWave platform, SNK will be able to port 3D games directly from its arcade code, making conversions to current home consoles much more palatable.

Well, this statement is what made me say that

Let's hope they don't decide to make another 3d SS game...blech! I think it's more likely they'll do 2d games with 3d background elements, as SNK did in the past.

I don't know if I can handle another Metal Slug game though; 5 is good, but they need to start introducing some new weapons and gameplay elements IMHO. Although they did add the slide, I guess.

I also hope they restore the SS4 button layout if they do another SS game.

Originally posted by racketboy@Feb 20, 2004 @ 11:24 AM

The games are King of Fighters 2004, as revealed at last year's Tokyo Games Show, Metal Slug 6, and yet another Samurai Spirits game, codenamed Samurai Spirits AtomisWave (AW) at this moment in time.

Tokyo Game Show!? How ignorant can people be. This was announced days ago at the AOU 2004.

It will not be 3D, maybe they make it like Sammy's Dolphin Blue, 2D character sprites and 3D backgrounds, which isn't something good. I hope it just stays like it is, maybe with higher resolution and higher color depth.

Dolphin Blue is pretty OK, but yeah, that style doesn't really fit with Metal Slug. Although I think some shrapnel and stuff rendered in 3d would be fine. What the game really needs, IMHO, is more monkeys. There should be at least one Uzi-toting monkey per level.

Originally posted by ExCyber@Feb 21, 2004 @ 09:02 PM

If it's done right it might not be bad, but the Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 style would be bad.

I was thinking more Capcom vs SNK 2, but yeah.

The only thing CvS2 needed was higher resolution sprites and some cleanup of sprite borders against the backgrounds

Originally posted by it290@Feb 20, 2004 @ 09:11 PM

I don't know if I can handle another Metal Slug game though; 5 is good, but they need to start introducing some new weapons and gameplay elements IMHO. Although they did add the slide, I guess.

Why wouldn't you want another Metal Slug unless they did something different? Is a Metal Slug game not worthy to be 'accepted' unless it does something new?

..Is any game not worthy to be 'accepted' unless it does something new?

Jesus, when will people learn that when a game series keeps trying to add new and different things they end up fucking themselves over. The reason why Metal Slug is still popular is that it hasn't lost what it had back when it was first released.

The more changes that are added, the more likely the series is going to take a fall..

..oh, and btw, the slide sucks ass. No, not just because it's new... but because I like to duck and shoot, then jump without the risk of performing a slide instead of a jump.

I agree the slide sucks, it would be better if they made it more like Contra: Hard Corps where you're invincible while performing it.

As for change in the series, I simply think it needs something. The 'flashiness' factor hasn't been topped since 3, and Playmore is unlikely to change that. I agree that sometimes changes do screw games over, but you can't just let a series stagnate. Do you really think Street Fighter III would be better if it only had the gameplay elements of SF2:WW? MS4 and 5 didn't really add anything as far as gameplay, and while 5 is certainly a worthy entry in the series, you can't just remake the same game over and over and expect it to keep its charm (see Tomb Raider).

Invincible whilst sliding? Would that help? I don't think it's the difficulty of the game which is the problem. The problem was the slide instead of the jump! Even with invincibility whilst sliding, there would still be the risk of performing a slide instead of a jump when you are ducking. All the invincibility would do is delay my death for half a second. The game's mechanics doesn't allow a player survive if he chose to slide all the time - at the end of the slide you go back to a standing position, which you will be shot down with ease. A way to solve the problem, would be to change the buttons to perform a slide, or remove the slide. I personally see only disadvantages in performing slides, so I would get rid of it.

I don't really know what the 'flashiness' factor you were referring to in Metal Slug 3. I associate 'flashiness' with graphics and/or special effects, and Metal Slug 3 didn't really have much improvement graphics-wise compared to the previous Metal Slugs. If you were meaning graphics, then it has been topped since 3 - Metal Slug 5 improves with more detailed and smooth character animation. As well as the 'special effects' used ala level 3's boss. I'm sure these graphic improvements were enough to keep the market interested. Well, they would have been good enough for me anyway - just don't affect the gameplay and I won't complain :devil

But I'm pretty sure you were referring to something else in Metal Slug 3...

For me, Metal Slug 3 set the high bar by keeping the original gameplay intact, adding a hoard full of new enemies, adding many alternate routes you can take through the levels, and most importantly, making the levels long and hard. The last level is such a mind blower - the music built the atmosphere perfectly, and the whole feel of following the aliens into their mothership in space got the adrenalin pumping! :hehehe: :smokin:

Whether SNK Playmore can surpass the high bar set by Metal Slug 3? Sure.. why not? It's the same company, same folks who made the original, so yeah, it's always possible. They just need to take it easy and take some time to reflect on the success of Metal Slug 3.

Metal Slug aside, the other issue you raise it more important regarding the future of video games series :ph34r:

The point you were making about how some games improve upon their series by adding something new/ different are valid and are needed (Street Fighter III), and others that don't add anything new are either good (Metal Slug 5) or crap (Tomb Raider x) is true. But it all depends on the foundations of the original. If the original game wasn't really that great (meaning has crap gameplay), then yes - improve the series by adding new/ different elements. Your example was Tomb Raider?

Alright, indeed this series is bland. Aside from the obvious fact that the more you churn out sequels and trilogies to games, the more 'out-dated/ old' the concept appears to be, the real reason why the Tomb Raider series is bland is because it was never that great in the first place ;). Back when it was first released, the game didn't really have anything apart from graphics to promote playing it. Nowadays, other games have out-performed it, in terms of graphics and gameplay. Even though recent Tomb Raider games haven't done anything new/ different compared to the original, they still suffer because the gameplay was never that great, and has yet to be improved.

Games such as Metal Slug don't need to improve on the gameplay for the games to stay fun. This is because Metal Slug games have great gameplay! You can play these puppies over and over again.. not for the graphics or soundtrack, but for the gameplay! But when the gameplay is already at a high level, it's risky to introduce new elements to it. Why spoil something that's already great to give the market yet another new toy to play with?

As you now know, I dislike it when games series are "improved" when a new toy is added for the users to play with at the expense of quality gameplay.

Who here hasn't experienced a sequel of a game get bad reviews compared to the original? This is usually just the 'greedy' :)P) audience, who demand improvements where their is no room for any. So the game is released on par with it's predecessor, but gets less favoured since the audience expected some new additions.

There comes a time where developers have to realise that the game is beyond the reach of a gameplay improvement, and turn their backs on the demands of their audience who keep on demanding new additions and improvements to the current gameplay.

And of course, if the game series was crap to begin with, then sure, add as many features as you want... the game sucks anyway - you have nothing to loose ;)

That's my take on it anyway :p

I see what you're sayin'. By 'flashiness' in MS3 I just meant the amount of variety in the game (it has more than MS5) and the different locations you could go to. MS3 has so many 'plot twists' that it keeps you going 'whoa' all the time.. compare the end boss and last level of MS3 to MS5 and I think we can both agree that 3 was better in that respect.

As for the slide, I think it could be useful to evade danger in situations where it's too risky to jump (ie, enemies are spamming grenades). If you've played Hard Corps you'll know that the slide could save your bacon in spots where the jump couldn't. This would only be useful if you could slide through the enemies, and there should be a delay afterwards to prevent the player from doing it continuously. Perhaps it should be assigned its own button though.

One thing that I could think of that would be cool for MS would be some 'shoot into the screen' sections, again ala Contra. Or a sub-boss that you can only fight using close range attacks, with a jumping knife slash like the enemies have (sort of like in Gunstar Heroes). Also more branching paths and multiple endings, or a Metal Slug that two players can control at the same time (one gunner and one driver). Or short cutscenes/mission briefings in between levels. I'm not talking about any drastic changes, just some stuff to mix it up a bit more and give the game even more variety (even though it already has a lot).

all they need to do is set fire to the master copy of ms4 and rename ms5 to ms4. Then people would be more accepting of another metal slug title.

Sorry, I played number 4 and had to have a shower after that....soo dirty!

Originally posted by SilentSnipeR@Wed, 2005-07-13 @ 04:01 PM

all they need to do is set fire to the master copy of ms4 and rename ms5 to ms4. Then people would be more accepting of another metal slug title.

Sorry, I played number 4 and had to have a shower after that....soo dirty!

[post=136690]Quoted post[/post]​

Well, given that Metal Slug 4 was undertaken by a new company (Mega), and released at a time when SNK was disbanded, I actually praise their efforts. It's actually quite a fun game, if you give it a chance - I hardly could believe it was developed by another group of people :ph34r:

I have high hopes for Metal Slug 6 :smokin:

Back