Looking do something fun.

Hi there,

Lately I've decided that I would create an advanced Java application/applet game that would function similar to games like Tetris-Attack, but with a Sega theme.

My idea is basically a user would be able to load the game from a webpage, and then would be presented with menu options to play, configure options, etc. When the user decides that he wants to play, he would click play and would be presented with a series of users that are also visiting the webpage and using the applet. From the list, he could then challenge a user to a game (with certain options), and if the user accepts, play against him.

Possibly I could work out some sort of rankings also.

There's also a chance that I could work in seperate modes (regular Tetris style, columns-style, etc).

With the way I would set this up, the application would be open source and anyone would be able to post the applet on their webpage.

Anyway, I was wondering if perhaps I could get some initial feedback, so if you have any constructive criticism, please let me know.

Thanks.

From looking at it some more, it would appear I don't have the luxury of merely creating an applet (due in much part to server strain that the application may be running on along with limitations that applets inherently have). Right now I'm thinking more of a Server/Client setup, where the server application merely provides routing capablities (thus removing it from having to transfer and process game states between clients, etc) and the client would be a downloadable product. The client would connect to a server running the server software and once a connection is established, the clients would talk to themselves.

I also need access to access and write to files for records and such (a luxury that applets don't have, of course), so a standalone application miminally is required on the server side. Possibly from this, I could just create an applet client (instead of a downloadable one) and then some server application for the applets to talk to also (though 'm still not sure, since there's still many considerations that need to be taken into account with this approach).

For the most part, it's going to be alot of work. But i'll have fun doing it (I think :blink: )

Back