Metroids vs aliens - A game-movie conspiracy?

I was just over at the gamefaqs message boards and came across an interesting post where people were comparing the Metroid zeries to the Aliens movies. After looking over what thaey were saying, it seams their very well could be a connection between the two. Here's a comparison list:

Metroid - Alien
Stars tough as nails woman, Samus Aran - Stars tough as nails woman, Ellen Ripley
Who faces a parasitic alien species - Who faces a parasitic alien species
And is on a planet run by Mother Brain - And is on a ship run by a computer called Mother
Samus escapes from an explosion at the last minute - Ripley escapes from an explosion at thelast minute
There's a dragon named Ridley - Was directed by Ridley Scott
Samus is in her underwear at the end - Ripley is in her underwear at the end

Metroid 2 - Aliens
Samus is now on SR388 - Ripley is now on LV427
SR388 is swarming with Metroids - LV427 is swarming with aliens
Samus becomes a mother figure to a baby Metroid - Ripley becomes a mother figure to Newt,a young girl
Samus defeats the Metroid Queen - Ripley defeats the Alien Queen
Metroids hatch from eggs - Alien facehuggers hatch from eggs
Samus is in her underwear at the end - Ripley is in her underwear at the end

Super Metroid - Alien 3
The last Metroid is destroyed - The last alien is destroyed
The baby Metroid dies - Newt dies
Samus changes her hair color - Ripley shaves off all her hair

Metroid Fusion - Alien Resurrection
The Metroids have been recreated in a lab - The aliens have been recreated in a lab
Samus is now part Metroid - Ripley is now part alien
Adam, a computer, has a secret agenda - Call, an android, has a secret agenda
The whole game takes place on a space station - The whole movie takes place on a spaceship
Part of the station is flooded with water - Part of the ship is flooded with water
Which crashes into a planet at the end - Which crashes into a planet at the end
All the Metroids are destroyed (until next time) - All the aliens are destroyed (until next time)

So what do you think? Is their a connection, or is it just a coincidence?

Metroid Database has had a page about this for years, and it looks like the idea's been around for longer than MDB has existed. I think there's a pretty good chance that there's some inspiration involved, but a lot of the similarities are more good old sci-fi-action cliches than anything else - narrowly escaping from a ship/building/space station/planet that's about to explode, scantily-clad females, all the aliens are destroyed "until the next time", someone has a secret agenda, space station/satellite deorbits and crashes into the planet, etc.

I don't think i've ever said anything like this before, but Fabrizo, you could've warned me about spoilers.

Back