MultiPlayer Strategy Games

lordofduct

Established Member
I was wondering if there were any strategy games similar to Shining Force's gameplay that have multi-player? That sounds a lot of fun!

Gladius, which is available on all the current consoles as well as the PC, has a turn-based, tile-based combat system similar to Shining Force and supports multiplayer. It's quite a fun game, too.

Also, Shining Force 2 has a code that allows a second player to control the enemy characters. This makes the game _really_ difficult for the force, though.

You can find the code on Shining Force Central, although IIRC it's very difficult to execute without a programmable controller. Although if you ask around someone can probably send you a savestate with the code enabled.

What I mean about it being difficult is that the only thing that makes SF playable is the fact that the AI is rather dumb. The enemy characters are usually more powerful than the force by a fair margin, but because they almost always attack in small groups, they're fairly manageable. If the enemies are controlled by a human player, they can take formation and lay waste to the force with relative ease in most situations.

Then Ill remember to always be the enemy... 🙂

nah, that would make for some good strategy on the Force's side!

If you have some friends with GBA's, then Advance Wars supports multiplayer.

And it's good to finally see Shining Force being solely refered to as a Strategy game.

Time to party! :banana

When was Shining force not referred to as a strategy game... the shining series is kinda RPG in my opinion, but depending which shining game (force, in the darkness, holy ark) breaks away from RPG in so many ways! Now that is one dynamic series... but does it get its praise? No, it all goes to that simplistic 1 dimensional series FF that has hardly evolved since its beginning!

If you're playing multi, I would at least make a rule like 'no attacking Bowie until everyone else is dead', because otherwise the good guys really don't stand a chance. You'd probably have to sideline Bowie to make it fair, however.

Gain Ground is a sweet game. I need to get a copy of that and El Viento so I can continue building my Renovation collection, but they're both hard to find...

edit - and yes, I think there is an Ages remake planned.

Back