my new game (wip)

Hi,

I just wanted to show you guys some of my artwork from the game that i am working on and get some feedback.

This is the players craft... a mech! Im making a shmup but doing it completely in 3d. At the moment the game uses three bottons,

Button 1, Machine Gun (hold down to power shot up)

Button 2, Lock on Button, By scraping bullets, the player is able to lock onto enemies on the screen. Depending on how many bullets have been grazed affects the amount of enemies that the player can lock onto. When you release the button, the players craft begins an assualt on the targets with its sword!

Button 3, Rotates the players craft around an axis zero gunner style.

The game features multiple pathways and endings depending on the players ability, similar to Border Down and Darius Gaiden.

At the moment, i am using SDL for the game engine and BulletMl to create the bullet patterns.

This model isn't finsihed yet, im still not happy with the gun and the arms.

Attachments

• mech_new_2_pers_2.jpg
    mech_new_2_pers_2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 92
  • ff_ship_rev_2_pers.jpg
    ff_ship_rev_2_pers.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 87
  • ff_ship_rev_2_pers.jpg
    ff_ship_rev_2_pers.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 80
  • sled_ship_top.jpg
    sled_ship_top.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 58
  • sled_ship_top.jpg
    sled_ship_top.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 58
  • sled_ship_pers_1.jpg
    sled_ship_pers_1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 70
  • sled_ship_pers_1.jpg
    sled_ship_pers_1.jpg
    10.4 KB · Views: 68
  • Ship_Above_1.jpg
    Ship_Above_1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Ship_Above_1.jpg
    Ship_Above_1.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 59
  • ff_troop_lander_pers_1.jpg
    ff_troop_lander_pers_1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 83
  • ff_troop_lander_pers_1.jpg
    ff_troop_lander_pers_1.jpg
    12.2 KB · Views: 79
  • mech_new_2_front.jpg
    mech_new_2_front.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 97
  • mech_new_2_front.jpg
    mech_new_2_front.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 95
  • mech_new_2_pers_2.jpg
    mech_new_2_pers_2.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 87
Originally posted by MasterAkumaMatata@Thu, 2004-10-28 @ 12:27 AM

Nice, but I think you should give it a bigger sword. 🙂

[post=121896]Quoted post[/post]​

The sword didn't come out quite right in the screen shot cause its on an angle, but ill make it bigger.

The ships are lookin' good, as for the mech, the detail is nice, but I think he looks a bit too wide on those hips. Makes him seem kinda dumpy. I think it would look better if you reduced that bulge a bit and moved it downward on the legs, then had it curve in again... it would look like leg muscle rather than big hips.

You should consider embedding the gun into its left arm. Basically a barrel (possibly vented?) is most of what you should see sticking out of his arm, along with some slight bulk to show that there are firing and ammo feed mechanisms at work. Plus an exit for ejected rounds, if that's even a consideration.

Great detail on those models, man.

Originally posted by it290+Thu, 2004-10-28 @ 09:37 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(it290 @ Thu, 2004-10-28 @ 09:37 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'>The ships are lookin' good, as for the mech, the detail is nice, but I think he looks a bit too wide on those hips. Makes him seem kinda dumpy. I think it would look better if you reduced that bulge a bit and moved it downward on the legs, then had it curve in again... it would look like leg muscle rather than big hips.

[post=121915]Quoted post[/post]​

[/b]

Yeah, i know about the "thunder thighs" 😛 I need to modify the thigh armour so it doesn't come so close to the pelvis.

<!--QuoteBegin-Alexvrb
@Thu, 2004-10-28 @ 11:52 AM

You should consider embedding the gun into its left arm. Basically a barrel (possibly vented?) is most of what you should see sticking out of his arm, along with some slight bulk to show that there are firing and ammo feed mechanisms at work. Plus an exit for ejected rounds, if that's even a consideration.

Great detail on those models, man.

[post=121933]Quoted post[/post]​

[/quote]

The gun i have got there isn't that great and won't be the final version. The thing about having a gun though instead of inbuilt weaponry is that i wanted a logical solution to power ups.

E.g. If the mech were to destroy a large capitol ship then it could in theory rip of once of the ships cannons and use it as a weapon. Same goes for other mechs in the game, if you defeat a mid level mech boss, then you can take its weapon.

Whatever i do though i need to increase the bulf of the weapon. I have a design at the moment that looks similar to the large automatic rifles used in the manga "jin roh" (image attached)

Attachments

• MEDRAH_JR001img2.jpg
    MEDRAH_JR001img2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 68
  • MEDRAH_JR001img2.jpg
    MEDRAH_JR001img2.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 68
Back