NES w/ stereo sound and lockout chip disabled - For sale in

Hi,

Having finally tracked down a French NES unit with RGB output, I'm modifying that for stero sound and imports, and getting rid of my old UK unit.

This only outputs standard composite video, the same as any other non-French/developer NES, but I've added a white RCA audio jack to the left of the existing red one, within the moulded portion of the casing, and re-wired it so that sound channels 0 and 1 (pulse waves) go through the left channel whilst channels 2, 3 and 4 (triangle wave, white noise, samples) go through the right (see http://www.sfu.ca/~ccovell/nesstereo.html - many thanks to Chris Covell for the information required to perform the mod.)

The lockout chip has also been disabled, so this NES will play games from any country with no problems, save that Famicom games will require an adaptor due to the differnt pin count of the cartridges (72 vs.60).

A side effect of disabling this chip is that there can be no more flashing screen problems:D - very dirty cartridges may still produce a grey screen if the system cannot detect the cart at all, but no more of those annoying moments when the title screen displays for a few seconds and the game then resets ad nauseum because the lockout chip is not being detected correctly.

Nor do you need an additional official cart to play unlicensed games like Fantastic Dizzy:)

I'm in the UK (Bury, near Manchester), but will ship anywhere if postage is paid.

If I can get £40 for it, it's sold, but I may go lower if there's no interest for a while.

James

Sorry, forgot to mention one thing:

The plastic covering the expansion port on the underside of the system (underneath the removable cover) has also been removed, so the port can be used for a Famicom Disc System or other peripherals.

Sure. I'll post some when I get the thing back together - I'm just comparing the boards on the UK and French models at the moment.

My girlfriend's from Manchester, I'm sure she'd have some insult or other for someone in Bury :). Is it just the actual unit you're selling or what? No leads or controllers or anything?

It would be the base unit, UK power lead with plug, one controller and a 3m video lead (I need the audio leads for my MD/MCD combo). If anyone actually wants one, I'll chuck in an RF lead - I've got loads:)

I'm at Uni (300 miles away from my NES) at the moment. I'll be going home on May 11, so I'll see if I can get some pictures then.

Back