Network engineer maps Internet in one day

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
A networking engineer in the U.S. has developed a technique for mapping activity on the worldwide Internet that can produce a complete result in just 24 hours. The technique produces a graphic that represents the Internet traffic between various servers across the world. The graphic can also show disruptions like denial-of-service attacks. The automated program is the result of a bet with a friend. For details see http://www.newscientist.com/news/news.jsp?id=ns99994434

Click on link to see the pretty map. 🙂

That is pretty cool. That map is kind of given extra beauty by being reduced in size though- check out the 4096x4096 version to see what I mean. Also, as the article goes on to state, the map is pretty far from complete, which I definitely agree with. Still keen though. There was a 'blogmap' site I found awhile ago that traced news stories as they hopped from blog to blog and eventually (sometimes) onto larger news sites... that was pretty cool. Can't remember the URL offhand though.

Anyone ever used that program xtraceroute? Kind of a nifty lil' piece of software as well.

Back