New ODE on the way

The amount of hate on twitter ("game over prof", or about limited availability of Rhea/Phoebe etc) is amazing ... but not surprising.
I wish all the best to Ced as well as I wish all the best to other similar projects too :)

And I'm curious to see which direction the project will take : open source or closed source but DIY or homemade or mass-produced etc.

The amount of hate on twitter ("game over prof", or about limited availability of Rhea/Phoebe etc) is amazing ... but not surprising.
I wish all the best to Ced as well as I wish all the best to other similar projects too :)

And I'm curious to see which direction the project will take : open source or closed source but DIY or homemade or mass-produced etc.

I wouldn't put much thought into that, half the people who buy the ODEs don't even have a Saturn in the first place, they keep asking what units to get AFTER they order the ODE. They aren't Saturn fans.

At the moment, the Fenrir is about as hard to get as the Rhea/Phoebe, AFAIK.

The Satiator, if it ever releases, will have some huge advantages... if someone writes the software for it, you can interface with the SD card from the Saturn side. Would be kick ass if someone wrote a backup manager or a cart dumper for it. And then there's the USB port on it, so maybe you'll be able to control the console from a PC as well. But it all needs software written for it first.

I wouldn't put much thought into that, half the people who buy the ODEs don't even have a Saturn in the first place, they keep asking what units to get AFTER they order the ODE. They aren't Saturn fans.

Yes, that's like buying toilet paper during a pandemic :D People buy two units "in case of", and then eventually never use them for obscure reasons.

At the moment, the Fenrir is about as hard to get as the Rhea/Phoebe, AFAIK.

That's why I was interested if the project would become open-source or not : if open sourced then offer shall become equivalent to demand, especially considering that Fenrir is a relatively easy device to assemble (no BGA chips, no 4 layers PCB, few chips required, and still in production nowadays etc).

The Satiator, if it ever releases, will have some huge advantages... if someone writes the software for it, you can interface with the SD card from the Saturn side. Would be kick ass if someone wrote a backup manager or a cart dumper for it. And then there's the USB port on it, so maybe you'll be able to control the console from a PC as well. But it all needs software written for it first.

I'm not specially keen on autopromotion, but I set up a patreon project for that : cafe-alpha is creating a new Pseudo Saturn Kai | Patreon
Satiator-related goals are to provide a better UI for disc image selection menu, and to use Action Replay cartridge to enable in-game backup memory support to Satiator's SD card.

As you indicated, a lot of people want the hardware even if it costs a kidney but don't care about software. So if community is not interested in such kind of software support, I plan to put that patreon on pause and focus on other projects more interesting for me ...

Back