New Sonic Mega Collection Plus for PS2

racketboy

Established Member
A while back, Sega did Gamecube owners a favor by releasing the Sonic Mega Collection -- a disc containing a healthy selection of Sonic the Hedgehog classics. Now they are taking it to the Playstation 2 and adding some extra non-Sonic Sega Genesis jewels. Still missing are some of the non-Genesis games like Sonic CD (from Sega CD obviously), Knuckles Chaotix (from 32X), and Sonic R (from the Saturn).

check here for more info

sonic.jpg

Why is it STILL lacking Sonic CD? :huh

Is that game holy or something? The ooze rules btw..but it hardly has something to do with Sonic :looney

Originally posted by SeGaFrEaK_NL@Aug 4, 2004 @ 03:27 PM

Why is it STILL lacking Sonic CD? :huh

Is that game holy or something? The ooze rules btw..but it hardly has something to do with Sonic :looney

It think they are too lazy to make anything besides a Genesis emulator -- although adding SCD support shouldn't be THAT much harder should it?

I'll get it for the Game Gear titles, since I kind of gave mine to my brother. However some of my favorites are missing from the Game Gear list: Sonic & Tails 2/Sonic Triple Trouble, Sonic the Hedgehog 2, Sonic Drift 2, and I know there were others that I haven't played.

Yeah the same thing with Sonic CD is the whole emulator issue and how they can't get 100% of it done from what I read.

All in all though, going to be a greatests hits in no time I think.

Why don't they add Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD? It seems odd to go to all the work to add an incomplete collection of Sonic Game Gear games, some random Genesis games, but not two more Sonic games which one finish the Collection.

And when did Sega/Sonic Team hopping on screw-Gamecube-over bandwagon? All these games wouldn't have fit on the Gamecube optical disc? And I thought Sonic was supposed to be exclusive to Gamecube.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Aug 4, 2004 @ 08:59 PM

Why don't they add Knuckles Chaotix and Sonic CD? It seems odd to go to all the work to add an incomplete collection of Sonic Game Gear games, some random Genesis games, but not two more Sonic games which one finish the Collection.

And when did Sega/Sonic Team hopping on screw-Gamecube-over bandwagon? All these games wouldn't have fit on the Gamecube optical disc? And I thought Sonic was supposed to be exclusive to Gamecube.

they didn't really screw over the GC.

It got the Mega Collection -- minus a few of the bonus games (some were unlockable bonus thought).

But I guess after the multiplatform Sonic Heroes ordeal, they are trying to spread the love. Which I don't mind at all.

Actually, I'm quite excited. Hopefully this will be successful on the PS2 and we'll see more classic compilations. I could like compilation pack I would like to see for quite a while (from Sega and others)

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 4, 2004 @ 04:10 PM

they didn't really screw over the GC.

It seems like the PS2 is getting a better collection to me....

Although I can agree that the exposure and potential new fans and supporters will be good.

Gamecube Sonic Mega Collection

* Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2 & 3

* Sonic & Knuckles (including the lock-on variants)

* Sonic 3D Blast

* Sonic Spinball

* Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

* Flicky

* Ristar

* The Ooze & Comix Zone (on the Japanese version)

Playstation 2 Sonic Mega Collection

* Sonic The Hedgehog 1, 2 & 3

* Sonic & Knuckles (including the lock-on variants)

* Sonic 3D Blast

* Sonic Spinball

* Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine

* Sonic The Hedgehog (GG)

* Sonic Chaos

* Sonic Drift

* Sonic Labyrinth

* Sonic Blast

* Dr. Robotnik’s Mean Bean Machine (GG)

* Comix Zone

* Flicky

* The Ooze

* Ristar

Originally posted by mountaindud@Aug 4, 2004 @ 09:34 PM

* Comix Zone

* The Ooze

What possible link do these have to Sonic. :huh

Oh well the more the merrier, and at least more people will be exposed to the greatness that is Comix Zone. :thumbs-up:

Originally posted by racketboy@Aug 4, 2004 @ 07:13 PM

I'm pretty sure those game gear ones were on the GC version.

At least I thought they were

I've unlocked everything but Ristar on mine. They most certainly are not there.

Why does Playstation 2 get special treatment? It will probably sell more copies on PS2 anyway, I don't see any need to get people that already have the game on Gamecube pissed off about it.

Oh well, I'm making it into a bigger deal than it is. I won't have any problem with getting a copy of the game on PS2. Hell, I'd probably get it even if they just added a color photo of Yuji Naka to the photo gallery portion. I'm such a sucker for re-releases.

Adding Sonic CD, Chaotix and Sonic R would require a lot more extra effort than allowed by this game's budget (that might be VERY low).

In Sonic CD and Chaotix, they would need to put together SegaCD and 32X emulation, and it's pretty non-trivial (remember how many years it took to get it to work?). In Sonic R case, it would be worse: Saturn emulation (and even GiriGiri hack cannot run Sonic R properly).

Alternatively they could port both Sonic CD and Sonic R from PC, but even that would required more money than the whole collection budget.

Originally posted by mountaindud@Aug 4, 2004 @ 09:50 PM

Why does Playstation 2 get special treatment? It will probably sell more copies on PS2 anyway, I don't see any need to get people that already have the game on Gamecube pissed off about it.

What you're forgetting to mention is that the GC got this collection over a year ago. So adding a few bonus games for the wait isn't really bad.

Back