Next generation Homebrew Game Engine

Sweet.

Hopefuly, the popularity of Senile's 2D, side-scrolling beat-em-up games will tip off some of the pro developers that there's still a market for 2D games besides Capcom fighters. I freaking HATE 3D games.

Those screen f'in rock! Looks downright professional. So this one is made w/ their own sprites right?

I dont hate them, I just think developers dont use it well and never take the time to make the 3D games good (takes a lot more work than 2D games)

And the good 3D games are just too short. Dynamite Cop 2 for the DC can be finished in a good 25-30 minutes. It's a very fun game though.

This is also better for me, seeing as how I've been going through their code trying to implement the things they're going to do in this game. Exciting! Sounds like a great platform for many 2D beat 'em ups.

The only 3D fighters I've truely like were Soul Calibur and the Virtua Fighter series. I know Des will now post saying DOA3 is perfect, but I never really got into the DOA series.

You might want to try out 'Naruto Gekito Ninja Taisen 2'. Its a cell shaded 3d fighter for Gamecube based on the Naruto anime. Everyone I know thats played it thus far has liked it. Its import only though.

And the good 3D games are just too short. Dynamite Cop 2 for the DC can be finished in a good 25-30 minutes. It's a very fun game though.

Personally, I think that's a good length. Streets of Rage 2 can be finished in under an hour as well, although it feels much longer than DC since you probably end up beating many more people down. I'm all for having a lot of levels and enemy types, but you can only play a beat 'em up for so long before your thumb starts to get sore (and this is coming from someone who loves both beat 'em ups and shooters). It's an arcade genre and should be treated as such, although I did like the way the genre was handled in Sword of the Berzerk for DC.

Looks great, however, I am getting very sick and tired of all the BoR engine games. Mega Man, Castlevania, TMNT (I think), and Age of The Beast. Enough is a enough!

the big thing is that it is more powerful/flexible and is even more modable.

People are already talking about doing Contra-type shooters, Castlevania-like games, and such. Plus more effects like rain and who-knows-what-else.

Originally posted by racketboy@Apr 24, 2004 @ 09:25 PM

People are already talking about doing Contra-type shooters, Castlevania-like games, and such. Plus more effects like rain and who-knows-what-else.

Sounds great, is there a way to "choose" the heores of the games they will make ? It would be great to see new Final fight, wonderboy, goulst n ghost, etc ...

Yup, you can pretty much insert sprite rips (into the BoR engine anyway) with ease. That's why all these mods have popped up so quickly. The new engine should offer much more flexibility.

Guess they moved their forum, so I updated the link.

Not sure how much progress has been made since I last posted this, but it is still under development.

Back