Oh how I let George Lucas rape me

So according to the Sunday ads last week, Best Buy had a unique metal-tin set version of the re-re-re-released original Trilogy, and the ad specifically stated limited quantities, ONLY 20 per store!

Just let that sink in for a while, while i take a shower

:bath:

So I skipped out of work to get to Best Buy when they opened on Tuesday to get my limited edition tin at the special tuesday price. Well, there was no line, and there were a bleedy 80-some copies of the tin. So I'm mad a best buy for lying to me in their ad.

:flamethrower:

But most of all I'm made at myself for letting George Lucas rape me. Of course, what we've all been begging for for the last 10 years was here, DVD versions of the original theatrical unbutchered trilogy. Despite Wacko Luko's promise to the contrary.

But does he even have the audacity to release them as they are? No, they have to be bundled with like the 4th re-re-re-re-release of the re-re-mastered trilogy with Meow Skywalker and the gay Boba Fett. And on top of that, they're only in like 300 lines of resolution instead of 720p.

Of course until this happened, I was just planning to purchase a bootleg off of E-bay which is just the Laserdisc Definititve Edition Dolby 2.0, which is exactly what this is, and I would have been completely satisfied with that. But being that Lucas was making a true official release, why the hell not bother to give us original theatrical resolution (as for some people's complaints about the 5.1, it wasn't originally that way anyway, and my receiver can create 6.1 from stereo anyway).

So, why did I buy it? For the simple fact that getting a legit copy didn't cost that much more than a bootleg, plus I didn't have to worry that I'd pick the wrong auction and end up with one of those VHS transfers. But mostly, but make sure best buy, the media industry, and george lucas got one more tick on the chart to show that people DO want the originals.

:shot:

But it was still a raping. He didn't do it becuase he cared about the fact that he is erasing two wonderful ROTJ songs from history and replacing them with utter crap, and that he accidentally came to work one day high on PCP and having homo-erotic daydreams and gave Sarlacc a giant fallace. He did it because he knew we're buying bootlegs off of e-bay, and he knows that if he builds it, we will buy it. Mmmm money. So he makes a quick buck off of everybody.

And then within 2 years, guaranteed, he releases the original theatrical trilogy with full HD video and 9.3 audio (or whatever they think we'll need to have by then), and he knows that we'll all go buy it again. His marketting cunning allows him to make the entire population of geekdom purchase the SAME MOVIE TWICE just like people of lesser morals bought all three releases of the butchered trilogy just because he kept coming out with a new one.

:rant

Ah yeah. So there's not enough posts going on on SegaXtreme lately. And what'st he deal with a 4-smiley limit on posts? I can't possibly conveigh my mood with only 4 smilies.

I know what you mean.

I was over the moon when I heard that Lucas was finally releasing the original trilogy on DVD but came crashing back down to earth when I heard they were copies of the Laser Disc masters.

What was the crappy excuse? Because these "versions" aren't Lucas' vision for the movies, they couldn't be arsed putting any time or money into presenting them in a half decent format. Cunts.

This is the same reason why he released the Ewok movies on DVD awhile back. They were originally released on laserdisc and vhs (probably beta too) but not dvd. People started bootlegging the movies majorly on EBAY and various places, and then he released them as a double pack on DVD.

The same thing is happening with song of the south (albeit not lucas) - and there are several rumors stating it will be officially released one day..

Meh. I bought the first dvd release with all the edits for $18 used. I'll most likely do the same thing this time too. I'm not a big enough SW fan to really care. My fave scene in Empire is intact, and that's all that matters to me.

I did buy the Ewok movie set brand new, though... Go figure. As a kid, I liked those two better than the regular SW movies.

Not a real big Star Wars fan (Terminator's my thing), but I still disagree with many of the edits done in the "Special Editions". I'm still undecided on this. Simply because next year is the 30th Anniversary of the series, and I have this feeling they might actually do something with the Original Trilogy (Remaster, Remix audio, etc.). Though I really do want the original trilogy

I never did buy the box set released back in 2004. Mainly for the reasons that were discussed when all the changes were revealed (Was it myself or mal that started that thread?). I finally had a chance to see the DVDs at my father's last year during Christmas.

The two things I dreaded the most were Hayden Christiansen in Jedi, and the new Emperor scene in Empire. Hayden as Anakin wasn't as bad as I predicted (Though it is out of place). But the Emperor scene in Empire drove me up a fucking wall. The entire script for the scene was changed! It was absolutely horrible! Ian McDermott had a pretty poor performance alone, but had they used the original script it would have at least saved the scene somewhat. And don't even get me started on the massive hologram they used for his head.

Oh and, I just know that Lucas will change something, and then claim it as part of his "Original Vision. Give me a fucking break! Since remakes seem to be all the rage these days, why not just remake them all? Oh wait, you're considering redoing all the settings and such to make them all fully 3D ala the prequels. Then again, it's not like he has anything besides Star Wars. Was American Graffiti a real big hit?

http://www.showbizdata.com/pcredits.cfm/McDermott, Ian/McDermott,_Ian

Back