Point and Click Adventures on the Nintendo DS?

racketboy

Established Member
Here's another rambling I wanted to run by you all...

While I was sitting in a Barnes and Noble yesterday, I browsed through the recent issue of Nintendo Power. I usually find the magazine to be wordy advertisements for Big N's products, but I'm a fairly new Gamecube owner, so I wanted see if I was missing anything.

There was one little section in the mag that features tidbits of discussions from Nintendo's message boards. One such piece suggested that somebody should port some of the old-school point and click adventures such as Monkey Island and Sam & Max to the DS. Of course, they didn't go into much more discussion other than, "yeah that would be cool".

But the idea did stick in my mind a bit -- which would explain why I am bothering to write about it.

This would be an interesting opportunity for somebody like LucasArts to resurect some of their old titles. However, I imagine it would take more than a nomal port of the game. While the DS might have great graphics capabilities and a very nice screens, I do not think that the amount of detail on a single screen would be sufficient for displaying all the items and text needed for these adventures. Also the second screen should be effectively utilized.

Complete rewrites would be in order so that the games could be playable and be modernized to keep this new generation of games occupied. If executed correctly, I could see this genre being something that could give Nintendo's new device a more interesting edge over Sony's PSP.

Look at some of the existing launch titles from the DS lineup, like Sprung. While it may be somewhat of a stretch in comparison, I can see some similarities on how you interact with characters and such. Just add in a bit more exploration, puzzle-solving, and interaction, and you have a great revival of the point-and-click adventure.

LucasArts could bring back their beloved franchises, but it might also bring other publishers such as Nintendo and Sega to use some of their existing characters (or new ones) to create interactive stories that could be enjoyed by gamers of all ages.

These types of games would help break up some of the monotony of the gaming market right now. Many games are simply sequals or ports of older games. On most systems their is a lack of games that a fresh and innovative. That's what is great about the DS -- it's inspiring developers to stand back and thing about how to make a different type of game.

The text in the SCUMM games (Monkey Island, Sam & Max, Zak McCracken etc) is pretty big. I don't think it would be a problem to do straight ports of the games at all. I'm halfway surprised there isn't a port of SCUMMVM to the GBA already, actually. But I don't think it would give the DS any competitive edge -- adventure games sell pretty poorly these days. How many people do you know who have played Syberia 2? Also, using the LucasArts games as a model, the second screen wouldn't really be used for anything - the entire interface would use the stylus, so only the touchscreen would be useful. Having to use both the stylus and the dpad for an adventure game would be too cumbersome, especially for a left-handed person.

I wouldn't mind seeing a point-and-click style interface used for RPGs and strategy games on the DS, though (ie, you click where you want to walk, attack, etc). I think we'll likely see some PC-style RTS games, as well.

About the whole 'fresh and innovative games' thing, I agree that more innovation is needed, but I don't think the DS is necessarily inspiring anybody. A different type of interface doesn't automatically lead to an innovative and interesting game, especially considering that the DS doesn't do anything that can't be done on a PC already.

Originally posted by it290@Mon, 2004-12-13 @ 09:32 AM

Having to use both the stylus and the dpad for an adventure game would be too cumbersome, especially for a left-handed person.

The buttons are laid out so that left-handed people can use them instead of the d-pad. Probably a Nintendo rule as well that games have to support both configurations, as all current touchscreen games do.

Yeah, the concept of having point-and-click Adventure games was brought to my attention about 2 weeks ago. The DS would be perfect for this genre! :)

...but rather than ports, I'd prefer some new point-and-click Adventure games.

I've played Syberia 2. :)

My new favorite thing to do is play my old scumm games on my newish iBook (new to me). Sam & Max still rocks to this day damnit.

Yeah I'd love to play those icom simulations games. Or give me those lost files of sherlock holmes games. Was there ever a shadowgate 2?

Back