Popful Mail

MasterAkumaMatata

Established Member
Originally posted by http://www.workingdesigns.com/museum/sega_...mail/index.html

Kazyr, Necros, Ulgar. Ghosts from the past that once nearly destroyed Popful Mail's world.

Now, the Black Seal is about to be broken so they can return to wreak havoc on the world once again.

Three ragtag adventurers become the only hope of stopping the second coming of Evil.

Play as Mail, tomboy bounty-hunter wannabe who's handy with a blade, Tatt, the ultra polite apprentice magician with a deadly staff, or Gaw a winged blue blob with breath of fire, as you search for the maniacal Muttonhead, who holds all the answers.

During your quest, change characters at any time! You'll need to, because Nuts Cracker and the minions of Evil will stop at nothing to end your party before it starts!

And, thanks to the storage power of CD, Popful Mail comes alive with over 2.5 hours of spoken dialogue and 20 minutes of heart-pounding animation!

Face it, your butt's gonna be glued to the couch until the credits roll!

Fun Fact: Megumi Hayashibara, who does the Japanese voice of Lina Inverse, also plays the voice of Mail. :)

Attachments

• Popful_Mail_cover.jpg
    Popful_Mail_cover.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 108
  • Popful_Mail_cover.jpg
    Popful_Mail_cover.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 114
  • Popful_Mail_cover.jpg
    Popful_Mail_cover.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 126
FINALLY!!!!!!!! I love this game. one of my all time favs on the Sega CD other then Lunar and Ecco. And thats a lot to say, Sega CD is my all time fav system... seriousily I must be one of the few, i guess it comes from it being the system I owned the longest. I played only the Sega CD from its release date until 2001 when I got my saturn and DC!

I found this game to be decent at best. Good graphics, but half-decent for everything else. The very hard difficulty and the long length makes it very challenging indeed ;)

The gameplay is far from perfect, but there's something about the style of Popful Mail that makes me swell up with nostalgia whenever I play it, and I hadn't even heard of it before last year. This game just drips with old-school goodness. I happen to be playing it again right now, and I'm getting pretty damn good at it. :cool:

EDIT:

I just read the classicgaming feature, and much to my alarm, it seems that Working Designs is responsible for the super-short recovery time after being hit. That is the single biggest problem with the gameplay.

Between charging to save in Lunar 2, raising prices and limiting ammo in Silhouette Mirage, and this, I'm now more sure than ever that the people at Working Designs are completely fucked in the head.

This is a game I have played a few times but never got into it too well. For the longest time, this game was cheap and everywhere, but a few years ago, it suddenly went from being a $10-$15 game to around a $40 game on ebay and such, while some of the better games, like Lunar 2, started out from $80-$100, and is now sold for like $30-$40 or so.

This game I'd rate the same way as I'd rate lagoon (no, not bahamut lagoon) for the SNES, and I'm not going to say how I rate lagoon :/

Back