Portable Dreamcast!

I hope this hasn't been posted before. I've heard several similar reports of portable DCs, but this is the first time I've actually seen pictures.

Originally posted by DCemulation

Dave, the man behind the infamous Atari Jaguar handheld, has successfully constructed a handheld Dreamcast. This is not in kin with Treamcast's Dreamcast with an LCD screen, but is an actual handheld portable unit that is built into a custom case and runs on rechargable batteries.

His site is here. Battery life looks pretty bad, but that's not really shocking. It's huge for a portable, but at least that means the screen is big. The design struck me as strange at first, but seems generally workable.

More pictures here.

If the battery life was better, and it supported VMUs, I'd want one of these more than a DS. I mean, portable Jet Set Radio? Portable Soul Calibur? Portable Shenmue? Sounds good to me. :thumbs-up:

Spiffy. 🙂

If he were using Li-Ion or LiPo batteries he'd probably get a lighter unit with a longer life, but 3 hours without the screen is pretty good still.

Originally posted by Dave@http://www.portablesystems.bravepages.com on 2004-11-25

I just finished my newest portable its a Dreamcast Portable. This project took about a month to complete. It run's off 2 7.2v 3000 mha batteries, has a 5" psone screen and odd and end's parts. When I first tested the batteries it ran for 3hr runing on the TV (thats with no 5" screen). Im in the prosses of charging the batteries right now. When Im done I'll run it with the batteries in and let everyone know how long they last. Im also going to write a how to on this portable so everyone can see how I did this. Feel free to sign my guestbook and let me know what you think about my portables, and thanks for stopping by.....

I wonder how much one of those things cost. :huh:

Attachments

• IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0090.JPG
    IMG_0090.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 102
Impressive! 😀 I want one for X-mas 🙂

What is the size of this portable console? Also, it seems there is no CD cover.

Seems to be about as wide as your keyboard from the left edge to the arrow keys....

CD cover? Who needs eyes? Vitamin Laser is cool!

Originally posted by mal+Fri, 2004-12-03 @ 03:45 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Fri, 2004-12-03 @ 03:45 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'><!--QuoteBegin-MasterAkumaMatata@Fri, 2004-12-03 @ 07:26 PM

I wonder how much one of those things cost. :huh:

[post=124989]Quoted post[/post]​

USD$57 on eBay
[post=124990]Quoted post[/post]​
[/b][/quote]Ha, much cheaper than NCSX's price. :banana

He uses the same crappy buttons for all his portables. Someone posted this over at dcemu.co.uk a while ago, and the battery placement doesn't seem really all that solid to me. :blink:

Back