Random thoughts on SEGA....

WOW this topic is probably the longest I've read yet. But, I can see why.

Anyways, I was almost getting goosebumps reading Ammut's vision of the fure of SEGA as I pictured it. I too think it's possible for a new system to come out if they can become the #1 3rd party game developer as their mission statement so blatently states.

As for Viewtiful Joe, it looks like a promising new 2D platformer.

Nintendo's revival of NES and SNES classics (and non-classics like on the e-reader) has my support. Other companies have and are currently making re-makes of classics (like SEGA's new low-priced games for PS2 (Phantasy Star, Fantasy Zone, etc.)).

And I agree, racketboy, Nintendo make nice periphrals; e-reader, the new GBA adapter for the cube, and just think of the whole GBA<->GC link cable feature. That's so amazing what can be done by connecting the GBA to the GC! It's like the VMU taken to a whole new level!

BTW, how was the Saturn as a 2d system compared to the Neo Geo?

I think the NeoGeo has 2 graphics chips. One 8-bit and one 16-bit. I remember they claimed it was 24-bit this way. I also think that's why it could process lots of graphics. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jan. 18 2003, 11:51 pm

There are a couple of other handhelds out there.

Both of the have better specs than GBA, but just don't have the software support yet.

Here's one of them:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.ph....2b180d8

There's also PDAs that are catching on for gaming.

And who can forget those incredible cell phone games
sarcasm.gif

smile.gif
Yeah, I know about GP32 though I wouldn't really call it competition for Nintendo.

Originally posted by SegaFreak@Jan. 19 2003, 9:10 am

I think the NeoGeo has 2 graphics chips. One 8-bit and one 16-bit. I remember they claimed it was 24-bit this way. I also think that's why it could process lots of graphics. Correct me if I'm wrong.

The "24-bit" Neo-Geo marketing hype is based on its two CPUs, one 16-bit M68000 and one 8-bit Z80 (same as the Megadrive, but the M68k is clocked faster). The graphics are more due to excellent 2D artists and the ability to pull graphics from insanely-sized cartridges. Its graphics capabilities were excellent compared to other consoles at the time it was launched, but now the cartridge format is the only hardware advantage it has.

Thanks antime. You make a good point about the cartridge advantage also. There's basically no loading time (compared to CD/DVD based consoles).

And those 2D graphic artists from the heyday (I don't know if it's considered the "heyday" because it WAS basically countable in days how long the Neo-Geo was publically popular) of the Neo-Geo had amzing style.

But now that we have the emmense storage space (like the Neo-Geo cartridges but MUCH bigger) on DVD-based media, there's even more ooprtunity for blossoming 2D graphic artists to spill their skillz on the large canvas that is the gamecube, ps2, and xbox.

Just think about the possibility of all the 2D graphics that could fit on one of any of those system's discs. There's almost endless possibilities for new 2D styles to emerge.
love.gif

Sega is a great company that wound up killing themselves in the end. By the time they got their act together it was too late.

Imagine what would have happened if SOJ and SOA had acted in union? Or if they hadn't gotten so arrogant?

It still infuriates me when I hear about all the idiotic mistakes made, even when people within their own company were telling them outright that it was a HUGE mistake.

Many people have the sour taste because of the Sega CD and the 32X. imagine if the 32X had either not been released or had been available a year earlier.

I still imagine what could have been done if Sega had kept the 32X supported and held off the Saturn for another year. Would have allowed Sega to put together the Saturn better, put together better libraries, give devs more time ot make more games for the launch, AND probably make the price lower.

Not that this would have overturned the juggernaught that was to be Sony. But I imagine it would have solidified Sega as at least a solid number 2, would have kept Sega in the good graces of devs and gamers, and would have paved the way for a much better received Dreamcast.

Sega loved to be the first on the scene, and the first to try anything. Unfortunately they never learned the fact that patience is sometimes the better way to go about things when you don't have all that you need to win.

And above all, they were too arrogant... even at the expense of their own company.

EG

Back