Revolution - Arcade to Console Conversions

racketboy

Established Member
I just wrote up this post for my Retrogaming blog and wanted to see what you guys thing about the ideas...

Many of you have heard me ramble about how the Nintendo Revolution will be the ultimate retrogaming machine. On the surface, one would assume that would only be because of it's "backwards compatibility" features.

However, I was just thinking that with the unvieling of it's unique remote-style controller, it may open up a whole new genre of retro games to the home market.

Think of all the unique arcade games there are out there that require controls other than a joystick and buttons. There are games that use guns, boxing gloves, fishing poles, maraccas, and lots of other cool controllers. Now think of how the actions of these arcade controllers could be translated to the motion-detecting Revolution controller.

There are two major reasons in my mind why porting these arcade games to the Revolution would be beneficial to Nintendo:

1) Nintendo is really pushing casual and innovative gaming with the Revolution. Arcade games are some of the best examples of casual gaming. They usually have a very easy-to-learn control scheme, do not require a long attention span, and are usually filled with continuous fun. Also, since arcade games are designed to catch the attention of a gamer walking by, they will be perfect for luring new gamers at a party into joining the action.

2) Every new console needs a good set of launch titles. And one of the quickest ways to build up a series of launch titles are quick ports. However, usually this leads to some games that are already existing in one form or another on another console. But in this case, there are not any other consoles that can execute these types of games effectively. So Nintendo just needs to entice the companies that put out these innovative arcade titles like Sega and Konami and have them whip up some excellent arcade ports.

With some luck, maybe a Nintendo employee or a developer with stumple upon this post, and we will all be blessed with some new arcade goodness in our homes!

Nintendo are too arrogant and they wont let stuff like this past their bullshit quality control system.

I know that i would be very interested in this too if it did eventuate, but im not holding my breath.

Regardless of the controller, it's more likely that Sega, Namco, Taito et al will port their games to the console that is most similar to the arcade hardware they're using. In the next round of consoles, it seems that may be the Xbox360... even though the processor is different, IIRC both Type-X and Lindbergh are using DirectX.

Originally posted by it290@Wed, 2005-10-19 @ 01:21 AM

Regardless of the controller, it's more likely that Sega, Namco, Taito et al will port their games to the console that is most similar to the arcade hardware they're using. In the next round of consoles, it seems that may be the Xbox360... even though the processor is different, IIRC both Type-X and Lindbergh are using DirectX.

[post=140850]Quoted post[/post]​

what about the older stuff though?

Generally speaking, if an arcade game doesn't receive a port within the first 6mo-1yr of its life, it's not going to. Most of the games from the last gen of arcade hardware (which for Sega would be Naomi 2, although some Naomi, Naomi 2, and Atomiswave titles are still being made) have been ported already.

you don't think some of them were avoided because the controller would be impractical.

Or some games such as Samba De Amigo that didn't quite catch on because they didn't want to invest in the extra peripheral?

(I realize with Samba you would most likely need something for the 2nd Maracca, but you get the idea)

Maybe. I can think of a few. But my point is that for most arcade games, if a port isn't released pretty quickly after the original, it won't be, because the game is not 'new' enough to sell that well anymore. There are exceptions, of course (particularly with very popular arcade games), but I think most Revolution developers will be focused on trying to create new titles to take advantage of the controller, not porting old arcade games that may or may not work that well with the controller anyway, and likely won't sell very well.

Back