RGB -> Component vs. S-Video

Hello. I've got a pretty decent TV with component video inputs. I am in NTSC land, however, so this is about as good as it gets for me short of an RGB monitor, which I don't want to hassle with. However, most of my consoles only have RGB or S-Video output (among lower quality signal types), and I am currently using the latter. I am curious about whether or not I could get a better picture by using an RGB -> Component signal transcoder. I know that in theory, converting the signals will cause some quality loss and probably only give me S-Video quality, but I would like to hear from someone who has actually compared the two. I don't suppose anyone here has?

I haven't seen it, but transcoded component -> RGB should still be better than S-Video, because you don't have both color signals on the same wire. IIRC, S-Video has the same problem as composite for horizontal color resolution - because the color-difference signals are crammed onto the same wire, it's not possible for changes in the color to be as frequent as they can be with dedicated signals. This results in certain impossible (for composite/S-Video) color transitions, but those are usually avoided on games anyway because most people still play them on composite connections.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I thought. Without a doubt, my DVDs look much better in component than they do in s-video - the colors don't bleed, period. If getting a transcoder would eliminate all color bleeding 100% in my games, it would be worth it to me.

Back