SATA -- Lemme make sure I got this right

Most (if not all) new drives now have heat probes on them. Programs like Motherboard Monitor 5 can report these temps. For me my two 120GB Maxtors run at around 30-35C for the master and 15-20 for the slave. The difference of course is from the fact that the master is in use more often (as my slave is mostly just for storing files). Also my master is above my slave so the slaves heat rises and warms it up a bit too. Of course I got those drive bay fan things blowing on both of them (and adding to the number of fans in this case too :)).

Originally posted by Alexvrb@Feb 14, 2004 @ 05:14 PM

That's a bit outdated, though...

Nevertheless, I was answering mal's question about the 80Gig SATA drive. I don't have any practical experience with 200Gb+ drives.

Also, I don't know how you're taking your measurements

I am using a utility called DTemp. It gets its reading from the SMART attributes.

I believe they exist. The cost of buying one probably wouldn't be worth it, though. Unless you have an older drive and a motherboard with no IDE ports.

Just get a Hitachi 7K250 if you're going SATA. Or if you've got cash, a pair of them so you can be uberleet like MasterAkumaMatata, with his fast array. It probably even pushes the SATA interface a bit, oh well at least by the time I get a faster SATA setup it'll have NCQ.

If you must have a new Seagate drive, they do list a 200GB SATA version of their new drive. It does not appear to be available yet though, I can only find the PATA version for sale. Don't settle for one of their older ones either, only the 200GB 7200.7 drive seems to integrate their newer developments. Why couldn't they just call it 7200.8 or something?

I don't need an array right now.

Just need a bit more storage.

I'll probably add more down the line though.

If storage is what really matters, and speed isn't essential, anything reliable and quiet/cool works. You could use a PATA->SATA adapter if you needed to.

Back