Saturn Games Opinions & Prices...

Hello.

I found these Saturn & PS-1 games & I would like some opinions of whether they’re worth the price.

For the SEGA Saturn:

Night Warriors – Darkstalker’s Revenge (E) (PAL)

Nights Into Dreams (E) (PAL)

After Burner II + Space Harrier + Outrun + Super Hang-On Collection Disc (E) (PAL)

Golden Axe the Duel (E) (PAL)

They’re in pretty decent condition boxed, front & back covers & manuals.

10Euros (12$) each.

For the SONY PS-1:

CastleVania Symphony of the Night (E) (PAL)

Mega Man X3 (E) (PAL)

They’re very used; they come with the front & Back covers but have no box, nor manuals.

The guy at the shop is asking 20Euros (24.5$) for each of them.

After trying to bargain with the guy, I couldn’t manage to lower the prices, as he insisted that these games are being sold for 40Euros (49$) on ebay & the Internet in general.

I really want these games but are they worth it for those prices?

How much are they usually sold for?

I’ve been searching for some time now & this is the 1st shop to come by that has them.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

personally i didnt really like golden axe the duel, it seems to be really slow and chuggy and the controls and play system is also very slow and un-inspiring.

Darkstalkers fairs a bit better and i think that it is worth that price, especially the pal version.

personally, i think nights is crap and boring, but i seem to be in a very small minority.

Sega Ages is worth it alone for OutRun.

If it were me, then i would probably grab all of them except for nights, although its not a great price, it is still very reasonable, especially if you are wanting them for a collection

Originally posted by ST Dragon@Fri, 2005-06-10 @ 09:19 AM

Hello.

I found these Saturn & PS-1 games & I would like some opinions of whether they’re worth the price.

For the SONY PS-1:

CastleVania Symphony of the Night (E) (PAL)

Mega Man X3 (E) (PAL)

They’re very used; they come with the front & Back covers but have no box, nor manuals.

The guy at the shop is asking 20Euros (24.5$) for each of them.

Any opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

[post=135150]Quoted post[/post]​

for such loose game he gotta be kidding himself at 20Euro...

spend bit more and get the proper copy...

I think Castlevania comes in std cd jewel case so you can get replacement cd case but still that price is too high...

and I'm not too sure whether megaman x3 comes in std cd jewel case or one of those thick PS1 case which is bugger to replace...

cheers

Originally posted by dj898@Fri, 2005-06-10 @ 01:20 AM

for such loose game he gotta be kidding himself at 20Euro...

spend bit more and get the proper copy...

I think Castlevania comes in std cd jewel case so you can get replacement cd case but still that price is too high...

and I'm not too sure whether megaman x3 comes in std cd jewel case or one of those thick PS1 case which is bugger to replace...

cheers

[post=135160]Quoted post[/post]​

By the way, does the PSX version of MMX3 have the same non-full screen, letterboxed display, with those crappy graphic boarders like the Saturn version?

I’ve read that they did this on the Saturn because the SNES (where the game originated) had a smaller resolution.

So is it the same for the PSX or is it full screen like the rest of the X series on the PSX?

I believe the NTSC version is full screen, PAL is probably bordered though.

Of the games you listed, the only one I think is worth it is Night Warriors. SEGA Ages might be worth it, but you might as well get Shenmue II if you want those games. Nights is awesome, but it's also incredibly common. Might as well get that one in good condition (+with the 3d controller if you don't have it).

OK so I got them all, except for SOTN & MMX3 which I got from another shop along with Starfox (E) 10Euro (12$), Virtua Racing 32X (E) 2.5Euro (3$) & Colony Wars (E) 10Euros (12$)

And here are my opinions:

Night Warriors – Darkstalker’s Revenge (E) (PAL) – Saturn - 10Euros (12$)

Very good arcade conversion. (I’ll have to fire up the MAME version to compare) but the speed & animation seem to be great. Is this supposed to be Darkstalkers 2, because I all ready have Darkstalkers 1 & 3 for the PS-1

Nights into Dreams (E) (PAL) – Saturn - 10Euros (12$)

Personally I don’t understand the hype around this game. It’s got pretty good 3D graphics but the game play isn’t that great. Most of the times you fly around collecting stuff (basically a show-off of the Saturn’s 3D capabilities).

The Boss patterns are quite interesting though.

This should have been for about 3-5Euros (3.5$ - 6$) the most.

Does this have any value as a collectable item by the way?

After Burner II + Space Harrier + Outrun (E) (PAL) – Saturn - 10Euros (12$)

Arcade perfect ports, but what annoys me is that After Burner II doesn’t let you define a specific button to activate the After Burner Jets at will. It seems to be used automatically if you do a specific manoeuvre or fly into the screen after death….

Is there any way to use it manually (by pressing a specific button) same as in the real Arcade/MAME/FBA or Nebula emu?

Same problem occurs in the 32X version.

Surprisingly the Saturn graphics aren’t that better than the 32X version…

Very good compilation never the less.

Golden Axe the Duel (E) (PAL) - Saturn - 10Euros (12$)

This game tries to imitate the scaling & rotation (Zoom in & Out) of the NEOGEO Fatal Fury & KOF series, but fails miserably!

The Zooming is so sluggish even the SNES/PCE & Genesis could have handled it better.

Controls aren’t the game’s strong point either, very jerky.

This is surprising too, as the Saturn in supposed to be the powerhouse in 2D & better than the NEOGEO in that aspect.

I’ve never played Golden Axe the Duel for the arcade to compare it to the Saturn port…

This was not worth 10Euros. More like 3-5Euros (3.5$ - 6$) the most.

CastleVania Symphony of the Night (E) – PS-1

This is as cool as the copy I completed back in 1997!

I found this at another shop, boxed with manuals & front-back covers, very good condition for 27Euros. (32$)

Mega Man X3 (E) – PS-1

Same as SOTN, I got this from another shop fully boxed with everything for 15Euros. (18$).

The PS-1 PAL version is full screen without the annoying letterboxed display & those crappy graphic boarders like the Saturn version.

It does however have the 2 small black horizontal borders on the top & bottom of the screen like all PAL games do, but the regular PAL screen is much larger than the Saturn version.

The JPN Rock Man X3 is full screen like all US-NTSC PS-1 games.

Also Mega Man X3 never had a US-NTSC release, only EURO, JPN & PC-CD-Rom.

It’s an awesome game & my personal favourite along with X6.

As for Virtua Racing 32X (E), I don’t have a 32X expansion to try it, but having played the emulated version, I just had to get this.

It comes in a box that is in terrible condiotion, with no manuals but the cartridge it self is in good shape.

I think it was worth the 2.5Euros (3$) I paid for it.

Colony Wars (E) – PS-1 – I only got this to complete the trilogy & for the cool FMVs Starfox (E) – SNES - Is a classic that shouldn’t be missed from any self respecting collector.

Out of curiosity, do all these games have any value as collectable items & if so how much?

Thanks in advance.

After Burner II: I really dunno...I tried for ages, but just gave up and attempted playing without it. I got quite far lacking one of main features though.

Nights into Dreams: Yes, I imagine it would be good for collection...as far as I know, Sonic Team were quite proud of it and I see why...well I liked it. A lot of people do!

hrmmm... I think those prices are shat!

BUT! You should get Castlevania, just not from there.

I prefer the Saturn one more (I actually like the extra stuff that's on it)

Back