Saturn media architecture question

Hi guys!

I had been looking at creating an emulated cd drive for saturn hardware, that would essentially allow me unplug the cd drive and replace it with a usb connection to a computer which would emulate the drive and serve out isos.

After reading the prior post about dev kit work being done through the ram interface I'm wondering if that might be an easier route. I suppose it makes sense that if you control a higher level in the memory heirarchy you can essentially control the media, but can anyone lay out exactly how this works?

Also, has anyone done this work previously, either through the cd connection or ram? Do I need to buy and modify the ISA card kit that was mentioned or are there better ways?

If there is no prior work in this area, but people have documentation / links to info about the cd / ram bus and interfaces (pin outs) that'd be really useful. I'll post anything I get working when it's done.

EDIT:

Pinchy's info in a later post gave me everything I need for 20 pin. Does anyone have that data for the 21 pin? The real goal is to get homebrew, mod chip stuffs, ability to keep all my legit games in RAID, etc all in one. I'm still thinking the CD is the best way to go on this...

Thanks!

Back