Sega cuts of DC Online Services this week

racketboy

Established Member
From SPOnG:

Sega has announced that as of this week, all Dreamcast online services aside from Phantasy Star Online will be terminated.

Although this is six months later than originally stated, the magnitude of the decision has had a great impact on many gamers. Sega effectively invented online console gaming, and it is a great shame that the firm is not currently gearing up to release Dreamcast 2. Had it not been for the disastrous fortunes of the DC, about now would be the time to expect the next generation of Sega hardware.

However, if Yuji Naka has his way, who knows..?

I guess it was bound to happen sometime.
sad.gif

You're not speaking about the comment about a new hardware machine? Aparently he translated a expression with meaning simmilar to "Let's wait to see" to a "I'll do my best". And things escalated ofter that.

Originally posted by TakaIsSilly@Jun 11, 2003 @ 04:34 PM

You're not speaking about the comment about a new hardware machine? Aparently he translated a expression with meaning simmilar to "Let's wait to see" to a "I'll do my best". And things escalated ofter that.

yeah, but it was Spong's quote, not mine

Originally posted by SegaSquad@Jun 11, 2003 @ 06:42 PM

Well, i never got to play bomberman online ONLINE and i never will
damn.gif

me neither

the only online game I played was Unreal Tournement

Originally posted by SegaSquad@Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:31 PM

It would be sweet if you could direct connect 2 DCs and play lan games with it.

there's the link cable, but not many game support it

This is indeed a hard hit for many gamers. Are there no servers left? (except PSO)

I really wish there was a way to set up our own servers and play...maybe is we ask Sega how to nicely....?

Yes, I think it would be possible. Can´t be much harder than using an ordinary server. Ive got a cs-server
wink.gif

Originally posted by racketboy+Jun 11, 2003 @ 04:34 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(racketboy @ Jun 11, 2003 @ 04:34 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-SegaSquad@Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:31 PM

there's the link cable, but not many game support it [/b][/quote]

wow, really? Do you know what games?

Originally posted by SegaSquad+Jun 11, 2003 @ 01:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SegaSquad @ Jun 11, 2003 @ 01:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>
Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 11, 2003 @ 04:34 PM

<!--QuoteBegin-SegaSquad
@Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:31 PM

wow, really? Do you know what games? [/b][/quote]

I think Chu-Chu Rocket? Wait, maybe not. I never tried. Besides, that was 4 players to one machine anyways. And now I can't play Chu-Chu Rocket online!
sad.gif

Originally posted by SegaSquad+Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SegaSquad @ Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

<!--QuoteBegin-SegaSquad

wow, really? Do you know what games? [/b][/quote]

seems like we discussed it a couple weeks ago, but can't find the thread

Originally posted by SegaSquad+Jun 10, 2003 @ 10:37 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SegaSquad @ Jun 10, 2003 @ 10:37 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'>

<!--QuoteBegin-SegaSquad

wow, really? Do you know what games?[/b][/quote]

I know F355 supports it for sure, and I'm sure there is only like 1 or 2 other games. Heard 2 player f355 racing on LAN was great though.

I think Chu-Chu Rocket? Wait, maybe not. I never tried. Besides, that was 4 players to one machine anyways. And now I can't play Chu-Chu Rocket online!

Chu chu rocket is for sure no, there would be no point as multiplayer shows all players on the same screen; there would be no advantage whatsoever. Internet yes, link cable no. And don't fret about the chuchu rocket servers going down, I checked about 4 months ago and no one was online at all
sad.gif

sad to see it go but it was inevitable. Maybe we should start a fav dc online games/moments thread?

---Ammut

Keep in mind that some games let you specifiy an ip of a server to use. Quake III for example lets you setup a pc with a Q3A server running the DC maps and then have DC users connect to that. Way back when a Ex-Cyber setup a server like that and we played a few games on it. The neat thing was that a PC user could play against a DC user with it.

Originally posted by racketboy@Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:57 AM

Had it not been for the disastrous fortunes of the DC, about now would be the time to expect the next generation of Sega hardware.

Hah.

More like the retarded releases of Sega CD and 32X, and subsequent disastrous fortunes of Saturn. That put off too many Sega fans, that combined with far-too-early PS2 hype and BANG. DC was effectively dead before it launched.

Originally posted by Tagrineth+Jun 11, 2003 @ 10:25 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tagrineth @ Jun 11, 2003 @ 10:25 PM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-racketboy@Jun 11, 2003 @ 09:57 AM

Had it not been for the disastrous fortunes of the DC, about now would be the time to expect the next generation of Sega hardware.

Hah.

More like the retarded releases of Sega CD and 32X, and subsequent disastrous fortunes of Saturn. That put off too many Sega fans, that combined with far-too-early PS2 hype and BANG. DC was effectively dead before it launched. [/b][/quote]

Sadly I agree :agree . It was over before it started. I think that if sega tried to make another console, the same thing would happen. People have already lost faith in sega. My friend always says sega died because it "abandoned" its fans. But i think thats stupid crap he just says cause he secretly likes sega a lot.

Back