Sega: Wii is “most expensive board game on Earth”

vbt

Staff member
Sega A&R’s head of content, Darren Williams, recently spoke to GI.biz about the state of the industry and what challenges each console and each console manufacturer is facing over the next 12 months. As well as wanting to see game prices being lowered, and intrigued to see what becomes of the PS3 and Xbox 360, he also gave his views on the Wii.

"I think on one hand the Wii has become the most expensive board game on Earth - it’s the kind of thing that families will play at Christmas, and probably won’t play again throughout the remainder of the year."

Williams is also asked whether the Wii could act as a gateway to the high-def consoles by giving kids the gaming bug at a young age but leaving them wanting more, which they’re likely to get from the Xbox 360 or PS3.

"Your point about a gateway, an entry point to gaming - certainly I think the Wii needs to have more titles. So whether or not it will become an entry point to go onto different gaming, high-def gaming? It’s an interesting one, and comes back to my point about tangible value. The Wii is great fun because it’s a very physical machine.

So I think there’s a market on the Wii for different tastes of gaming. Whether then people will graduate upwards, that’s an open question. I’m skeptical about it, because I think what the Wii offers is a very physical, fun experience."

I think the Wii is definitely acting as a kind of introduction to gaming and will in effect help the industry as a whole for years to come. However, it will also likely change the industry at the same time, meaning casual gaming becomes the norm and motion-sensing controllers also become common.

Source : http://gamer.blorge.com/2008/11/07/sega-wii-is-most-expensive-board-game-on-earth/

Back