SegaCD, Saturn... 2048 or 2352 data track?

This slipped my mind, and speedgoogling didn't give me the answer. Why do I have to rip SegaCD images in 2352 (RAW) mode again? Does any game actually make use of that additional data? If not, what does speak against dumping in 2048?

Same question for Saturn.

I know, you could say I am obsessed with ripping lately... ;)

I'm not aware of any. A handful of Saturn games do have Mode 2 data, but I've only ever heard of that being on a separate track. Anyway, Neill Corlett wrote a program to "compress" standard CD-ROM ECC/EDC data, so in principle you can get the best of both worlds.

I am not totally agree with what Snake said over at your boards. Yes, in cooked mode, your drive does the check of EDC/ECC correction and doesn't in raw mode, but ripping in cooked mode doesn't let you verify your image where in raw mode you can check it with CDmage. In this case, CDmage is not used at first for correcting some EDC/ECC errors but for checking that your image doesn't have any error. In cooked mode, you can't check it. Yes, your drive performs this test when ripping the cd, but sometimes it could not correct some errors so your cooked image is bad and you don't have any way to know your image is good or not, unless you rip your cd multiple times but you will not be 100% sure at the end as a ripping error could be reproduced multiple times.

Back