Shooter Crash of the Early 90s?

I just read a reference to a shooter crash in the early 90s while browsing Hardcoregaming101.

I can't find any other references on it on the interweb. I was wondering if anyone knows any more information about it?

Jedi Master Thrash said:
I just read a reference to a shooter crash in the early 90s while browsing Hardcoregaming101.

I can't find any other references on it on the interweb. I was wondering if anyone knows any more information about it?

I believe the quote to which you are referring is:

"After the great shooter crash of the early 90s - when the glut of too-similar games caused most people to swear them off - ..."

The author is referencing a time in the early 1990's when too many shooting games (or 'shooters') flooded the market. The word 'crash' indicates a sudden downturn such as a stock market crash. In other words, people got sick of them and stopped buying them.

Unfortunately I can't verify that a "great shooter crash" ever occured.

I don't think it's that "the glut of too-similar games caused most people to swear them off", but rather that Street Fighter 2 basically made fighting games the new "hot genre" of the arcade industry, relegating shooters to smaller developers (in particular, most of the major "shooter developers" that are still around have ties to Toaplan, which shut down around this time). Heck, even Raizing and Psikyo worked on fighting games...

Compared to other genres, I actually think shooters (not fps) have one of the highest ratios of fun-to-flops.

I've gone through (or at least tried out) nearly every genesis game, and quite a huge number of NES and SNES games, the dominant systems of that era. I'd say at least 1/3rd of the shooters are quite fun, with many high quality, and a few additional that are worthy based on some feature. And they aren't all made by the same companies.

In contrast, side-scrolling action platform games continued to dominate the market for a long long time, and the vast majority of them are just junk. Besides the excellent mario and Sonic games, there's very few worthy of recognition. Earthworm Jim, Cool Spot, and Kirby are a few off the top of my head (all excellent too). Even Disney churns out crap (except for Aladdin). I can't believe how many walk-across-the-screen and jump and punch/slash people games I've tried that are just garbage. I can't believe anyone paid 50$ for them!

Of course side-scrollers kinda slowed down at the same time as shooters (saturn/ps1 era) due to the sudden need for 3D graphics. Shooters got taken over by sim shooters (3D flying/shooting), and side-scrollers got taken over by 3rd person adventure games (which still plague us 10 years later with their awful camera angles and questionable gameplay).

Fighters did actually seem to mostly remain fairly high quality (except some notable highly marketted crap like rise of the robots) once they got off the ground. Initial fighters with none or only the standard 4 moves were rather boring in my opinion (including the first street fighters). Somehow 4 moves just isn't enough. Once you master them, you just end up launching fireballs the whole game and it gets boring. Once MKII and EC came around (for me anyway, others could have been first), they upped the anti with many useful special moves per character and amusing deaths that kept you playing to hope to see one. And these games still go strong in my opinion, but are unfairly outmarketted by 3D fighters.

I think 3D fighters, while they have great graphics and tons of moves, all started to blend together almost from the onset. The characters and moves and gameplay just seem all alike on all of them. And mapping textures onto limited polygons just isn't as artistic as hi-res sprites. You'd think that 3D fighters would have had a crash 5 years ago, but nope. We're on MK15, VF5, Tekken 23, etc. They should just start naming them after the year now. Actually, named after the next year.

Which brings me to another thought, but that's for another thread.

But anyway, maybe it's just because shooters are so simple, it's easier to make one not suck. You just need some interesting bosses, cool weapons, and a smooth scrolling background, and you're in business. Some of the ones I've played that are bad, you'd think they had to try to make it this bad on purpose.

But I take that back. I've played many games that have all three of those features, but they're still just not fun for some reason you can't lay your finger on. There's some gameplay aspect with how fast and in what patterns the enemies come at you, and how fast your ship moves. Level design that's more than just graphics that's required to make the gameplay fun.

The truth is, I didn't like shooters at all back in the early 90s. It wasn't until my college sega rebirth that I became obsessed with them. Back in the 90s, I only wanted 3D, because it was rare and exciting. 2D wasn't exciting. When I looked at the back of the box for a 2D shooter, it looked like a flat playing field with little vehicles. I used to play 1942 on NES, and I used to think it was good (what the hell were we thinking?). But I didn't want NES games on my Genesis. I wanted the 3D bonus levels of Sonic 3, virtua racing, Ballz, and the 3D stuff on the CD and 32x.

3D caused the shooter crash, not the quality of shooters, in my opinion.

The author is referencing a time in the early 1990's when too many shooting games (or 'shooters') flooded the market. The word 'crash' indicates a sudden downturn such as a stock market crash. In other words, people got sick of them and stopped buying them.

right... (thx for explaining, I thought a "shooter crash" was a type of game... like an FPS, RPG or a 2D fighter...-_- ' )

hmmmm.... I am not sure there was an actual "crash", but I guess shooters (especially side scrollers) are a bit of a particular type...

I mean, for example, let's say RPG... almost everybody like Final Fantasy right? ..it's easy to play, it has nice storylines with cute characters who love each other and stuff... (like a hollywood movie really).

But a shootem'up is a game that "casual gamers" tend to find too hard and boring as they can't really see the technique it requires to play it right.

Whith the end of the 16bit era and the release fo the Playstation, the number of "casual gamers" started growing at an incredible rate and they finally took over the market.

So in my opinion, the number of shooter fans is still the same, but in terms of percentage, it is less that it used to be in the 90s.

So I believe it was not a crash of the shooter market, but a raise in the non-shooter one.

Interesting, because I've always thought the opposite. I thought shooters were better for casual gamers because the gameplay is simple and the experience is short and sweet. At least with an old-school shooter, you can pop it in, hit start, and away you go blasting stuff. Even if you die right away, if that game is good, it's still fun to keep trying. And since you can often die fast, it's easy for a quick pick-it-up-and-play-it game.

RPGs on the other hand require an enourmous time committment, on the order of a hundred hours spread over months. And you have to learn all the magic and attack moves and remember everything you talked with characters about and keep track of your inventory. I think RPGs are only for the hardest core of hardcore gamers.

I think casual gamers would be more into newer "quick-n-dirty" kinds of games, like hack-n-slashers, or FPS tournament games, where you're just thrown in a room and shoot each other for 10 minutes. And then the new wave of 3D fighters/wrestlers which have no actual special moves, just random combinations of buttom-mashing and analog-stick-twirling that cause you to do assorted attacks.

hmmmmm... yeah... actually, you can play an RPG... and PLAY an RPG! My point was that when a FF is released on a machine, it raises the machine's sales. It is not that case for a shooter.

How many people on the planet cleared FF7? ...then how many people cleared ThunderForce V?

now of course, there is the Hardcore-RPGer who will not remove the CD from the console before completion of all side quests and stuff....

I think casual gamers would be more into newer "quick-n-dirty" kinds of games, like hack-n-slashers, or FPS tournament games, where you're just thrown in a room and shoot each other for 10 minutes. And then the new wave of 3D fighters/wrestlers which have no actual special moves, just random combinations of buttom-mashing and analog-stick-twirling that cause you to do assorted attacks.

100% agreed!

...maybe this is indeed a better example than RPGs...

Jedi Master Thrash said:
Compared to other genres, I actually think shooters (not fps) have one of the highest ratios of fun-to-flops.
Oddly enough, out of the 2D game genres, shooters are among the most CPU-intensive due to the large number of sprites that must be updated and collision-detected. Some modern shooters even have artificial slowdown to emulate the feel of an overloaded 1980s arcade system...

Back