So I Bought a Saturn

I picked up a Saturn from a local used video game store today ($50 for a Model 1, a controller, a game (Soviet Strike), and a netlink adapter, probably not a great deal but I got instant gratification). Now I have a couple of questions.

What's the best homebrew game/demo for the Saturn. I've got the swap trick down (pretty easy since I have a Model 1) and I'd like to try some more homebrew (I've tried reinhart's shooter demo).

Anyone have a manual for Soviet Strike? All I got with the Saturn was the CD. Is this game any good?

I presume that I need some software that supports the Netlink adapter for it to do me any good. Is there a list of software that works with it?

Final question. I suppose this might be better suited for the developer section, but would anyone be interested in a port of my Sega CD transfer utility to the Saturn? Basically it would allow for testing code without a PAR and without having to burn a CD each time you make a change. Also could be used for BIOS dumping. The cable would be just as easy to make as the Sega CD version (with the exception that Saturn controller connectors are harder to find). I might add some features to allow a homebrew game to load files over the cable in a transparent fashion so that with just a recompile the program would switch from reading over the cable to reading off the disc. Probably wouldn't work so well with streaming data, but I should be able to get it to work for simple loading.

see and that is why you scored a 91 and I scored only an 83. Thank You, I didn't want to be the one with the highest (as most people here are better programmers then me).

Anyways, that sounds cool. I'd have no use for it, but I bet someone would. You should toss one of those hacked 21 to 20 pin chips in it though to save time with booting your homebrew.

Actually, speaking of modchips, is there some kind of guide for identifying the different types of Saturn CD boards? I've heard discussion about all sorts of numbers of pins, 20, 21, 32 and 64, but do these refer to the number of pins on an IC on the CD board or the number of pins on the ribbon cable?

On the other hand, I am kind of tempted to see if I can figure out some alternate means to cracking the copy protection. Perhaps when I have a little more cash, I'll pick up a logic analyzer off of e-bay. The older ones in that handle the saturn's speed range are pretty reasonable.

20 and 21 pins refer to the number of pins in the cable that connects the CD board to the Saturn Main board. 20 pin is a model 1 (Which you have) and 21pins is a model 2. The 32 and 64 pins refer to an IC that is on the Cd board. 32 is the preferred one because it is nearly 100% guarantee mod.

I am unaware if model 1 saturns also have different CD boards though. I am under the impression they are all about the same so a hacked 21 pin modchip should work in just about any model 1.

I also heard some mention of Sanyo CD boards, what's the deal with those?

I was also under the impression that the case style was no guarantee of the CD board inside, or is that only for Model 2s?

Yes case style is not 100% way to predict. Some saturns that are actually model 1s are in a case with round buttons. I am unaware of any reports of a Saturn in a case with oval buttons being a model 2.

The sanyo board Saturns are just yet another version of a model 2 saturn. Most people seem to have success modding these aswell. There is a nice guide here to follow: Sanyo Mod

Originally posted by RitualOfTheTrout@Tue, 2005-08-16 @ 08:18 AM

Most people seem to have success modding these aswell.

[post=138323]Quoted post[/post]​

I think "some" would be a better word than "most".

For a long time it was only MikeG that had any luck with modding a Saturn with a Sanyo CD board. There may be more since then, but AFAIK not too many.

Originally posted by mal@Tue, 2005-08-16 @ 10:23 AM

I think "some" would be a better word than "most".

For a long time it was only MikeG that had any luck with modding a Saturn with a Sanyo CD board. There may be more since then, but AFAIK not too many.

[post=138349]Quoted post[/post]​

Oh well I guess I misunderstood that aspect then. I thought most people could get it working using his guide. I guess these are kinda like the 64pin IC saturns then, a mystery why some people can get it to work while others cant.

I know a few games that support the Net Link and they are:

Sega Rally Championship Plus Netlink Edition

Virtual On Net Link Edition

Saturn Bomberman

Daytona USA Championship Edition (Unsure of this)

Duke Nukem 3D

Also, Sega Rally Plus Net Link Edition is basically the Japanese version of Sega Rally Championship with Net Link online play added.

Sounds cool if I can find some other people to play with especially since I have unlimited long distance.

Isn't there some kind of e-mail program too?

All I know is that there is a web browser as well. I think the browser

has an e-mail feature. (I'm unsure of this.) Even if it doesn't, you could just make a Yahoo e-mail account and use that instead.

there's box set of NetLink game pack that contains below two titles plus the web browser...

Sega Rally Championship Plus Netlink Edition

Virtual On Net Link Edition

You still need to get the NetLink though...

cheers

Back