So I just got a Saturn

Thought I'd ask you what I should pick up, now that I have a Sega Saturn. What i have already is:

-Saturn (v2) with 2 controllers

-time crises panther light gun w/ reload peddle

-area 51

-corpse killer

-street fighter alpha warriors-dreams

-virtua fighter 2

-worldwide soccer

-virtua cop

-panzer dragoon

I plan to pick up Sega Rally and maybe a good platformer (can Nights be found cheap?), but wanted some advice about other stuff...

The battery in the thing is obviously dead, as everytime I turn it on I have to set the date...are these just regular, replaceable watch batteries i can buy anywhere?

What do I need as far as some sort of back-up cart? What goes in that cartridge slot that is worth getting? For that matter, are there other cool accessories or add ons that plug into this thing? What would I need a 3d Pad for?

The list of "Top 50 games" is a bit much to chose from...what do people think are the top 10 games or so...I like most types of game, but especially ones that would be unique to the system..

What else should I pick up with my Saturn? Is a mod chip easy enough to install if you have never soldered anything before? Is it worth getting one? I struggled with the swap trick but don't care to do that to play CDRs, but don't feel I need to play CDRs anyway, if I can find games cheaply.

Where would you reccommend buying cheap Saturn games?

Anyone want to trade some of their Saturn stuff for Genesis/Sega CD system/games, etc. Check my post from a few weeks ago in the Buy/Sell/Trade Froum to see what i have...

Thanks!

Nights is extremely cheap.

Pick up Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA while you're at it.

Saturn batteries can be found at Walmart in the electronics section. Just make sure you grab the same model number. Manufacturer doesn't matter

Modchips are easy to install -- much more so than most modern systems that I'm aware of.

eBay is a good place to get games IMO, just make sure you deal with somebody with good ratings.

Originally posted by racketboy@Thu, 2005-03-31 @ 03:16 PM

Nights is extremely cheap.

Pick up Virtua Fighter 2 and Daytona USA while you're at it.

Saturn batteries can be found at Walmart in the electronics section. Just make sure you grab the same model number. Manufacturer doesn't matter

Modchips are easy to install -- much more so than most modern systems that I'm aware of.

eBay is a good place to get games IMO, just make sure you deal with somebody with good ratings.

[post=132364]Quoted post[/post]​

yeah try ps2 and it's 20-27 wire modchips :lol:

Jesus... I don't envy that collection, it's quite nice. But just thinking about how much went into it..... I wonder if I would be the same if I had the money.

What do I need as far as some sort of back-up cart? What goes in that cartridge slot that is worth getting? For that matter, are there other cool accessories or add ons that plug into this thing? What would I need a 3d Pad for?

IMO you can never really go wrong with the AR4+ (or a cartridge with similiar funtions), plays imports, even the ones that require 1MB or 4MB extra ram (if you wan't these games as cheap as possible you buy them without the extra Ram-card, or if you get the CD-R ones)

You can also back up your saves on it (no direct save though, you just store saves there which aren't used at the moment, if the internal ram is full)

The 3D pad isn't supported by that many games, Sonic jam, nights, daytona CCE, Dark Saviour... are the ones I can remember right now, probably some other racing games, like Sega Touring Car I'm sure, and you CAN use it for Sega Rally aswell, but every time I do that the A button doesn't work, the B- and C-button works though (so I can still play it without problems), don't remember if you can set the settings and use the analog L- and R-buttons for brake/acceleration either. I'm sure there's a thread or someone'll give you a link so you can check out exactly what games are supported by it.

You get that controller 'cause it's much more comfy than the standard ones (IMO).

The list of "Top 50 games" is a bit much to chose from...what do people think are the top 10 games or so...I like most types of game, but especially ones that would be unique to the system...

Take 10 of the games from that list then. ;) If you wan't to use your Phanter light gun for anything else than Area 51, then get Virtua Cop 1 or/and 2. It's hard to give advice, but there aren't really that many platformers for the saturn, and none of them are good (I don't think of NiGHTS as a platformer, that game is good though).

If you're into shmups you can't go wrong with Soukyugurentai (which is impossible to get hold of) and Battle Garegga. I think they're in the price range of a fullprice new game. I don't have Soukyugurentai as an original though, and haven't seen it an while (I'm from sweden, our equivalent to eBay isn't thaaaat good)

Had to check the top 50, and was a little surprised Story of Thor 2/Legend of Oasis was nowhere to be found (or am I just tired?), that game can surely be found cheap and lasts for a while, actionRPG, whatever you call it like Zelda. Magic Knight Rayearth (also not on the list) is also a good example (again IMO) of an actionRPG. I've played almost everyone of the games listed there, and you can't really make a bad pick, if you know you hate one specific genre just continue to avoid. Like I have with World Series Baseball 98. :)

What else should I pick up with my Saturn? Is a mod chip easy enough to install if you have never soldered anything before? Is it worth getting one? I struggled with the swap trick but don't care to do that to play CDRs, but don't feel I need to play CDRs anyway, if I can find games cheaply.

You probably have a friend who knows how to solder, or a friend who knows someone who knows how to solder. It really depends, it's not expensive to get one, but it all comes down to how much money you wan't to put into it, a real collection gives you more satisfaction; compare dj898s collection to the same collection on CD-R, it's not like you can showcase you're CD-R-booklets in any cool way. :D But then again, for the price of Radiant Silvergun you get what around 2000 CD-Rs.

dj898:

That collection is to kill for, and that would be what I would worry about when posting about it. I would probably settle for a mere burguralization of your home if I knew were you lived though. :D

I read all the post at digitpress, but nobody asked you for how long you were active in collecting the Saturn and PcEngine stuff, so now I am. For how long?

on and off for roughly bit over 10 years i think... although I haven't been into seriously till I was at the uni late 90s...

had to left large chunk when I moved to this country and have been busy bring 'em in bit by bit ever since...

cheers

Back