Sound Problems (only getting limited 8-bitish sound)

Hi, I recently bought a proper cable to connect my Genesis to an HDTV, since it didn't have an RF input. I haven't used the Genesis in around 10 years properly and now everything's ok, except sound which sounds 8-bit, as if it were on a Master System, also there's very little to no sound with most games. I'm not knowledgable with these areas so I had a look and saw that the Gen has an additional sound chip identical to the Master System's only sound chip.

I'm guessing the main chip isn't coming through for some reason, neither on the TV nor by headphone jack. Is this something that could be fixed or is my Gen doomed to be a sound cripple? Maybe someone has an idea what it could be from experience, I've never opened the console so I kinda want to be sure before I go fiddling around.

Seems like you have a fault with one or more sound channels. Not sure how to go about fixing that one.

Looked around for an emulator with which I could turn off individual channels to see if I can replicate the sound of my own console. With Regen (http://aamirm.hacking-cult.org/Regen095D.zip) I turned off all YM2612 channels and what's left is exactly what I'm hearing on my console. Example was Sonic 3 (some games don't seem to use the PSG at all, Vectorman was completely silent as far as I tried it).

This is just an attempt at some deductive reasoning since I'm really not too knowledgable in this area. Thought it might help...but I get the impression this won't be fixable ^^

Any idea what the cause for this problem could be? Simply the age of the console? I admit it hasn't been stored in ideal conditions. The metal plating over the mainboard is full of patches of rust. I'm just surprised how well the console works besides this problem. It's just pretty useless with absolutely crippled sound.

what seems to be described is dead capacitors that have dried out, particulary ones on YM2612 audio lines. MD does indeed have functionally identical chip in it to what makes sound in SMS.

Back