Spain Bombing

Originally posted by IceMan2k@Mar 11, 2004 @ 10:13 PM

My heart and prayers go out to all of you in Spain.

I second that. What a cowardly act, so much innocent life lost...

Apparently Al Qaeda have claimed responsibility.

Yet another example of human stupidity - just what the world needs. 🙁

Which of the "coalition of the willing" will be next?

Many Australians were killed in Bali in the October 2002 attack that was linked to Al Qaeda, and now it seems it's Spain's turn. 🙁

BTW initially it was attributed to Basque seperatists.

I'm not sure if ETA would even do something that extreme, although I wouldn't put it past them. Listening to the news stories about this today made me think about something, though - it seems like it would be too easy for non-Muslim terrorists to shift the blame by planting 'tapes with verses of the Koran' for example. It might not hold up to prolonged investigations, but it would surely throw the authorities off the trail for a while.

If it _was_ Al Qaeda, though, all I can say is that they picked a terrible target. Spain might be part of the 'coalition', but the overwhelming majority of its citizens are/were opposed to the war in Iraq &c. No person deserves to be murdered, and the citizens of Spain should not be held responsible for their government's actions.

God... Muslim fanatics suck. Why can't they be like christian fanatics and just annoy you door to door. What the hell spawns THIS sort of extremists?

Originally posted by it290@Mar 12, 2004 @ 12:11 PM

If it _was_ Al Qaeda, though, all I can say is that they picked a terrible target. Spain might be part of the 'coalition', but the overwhelming majority of its citizens are/were opposed to the war in Iraq &c. No person deserves to be murdered, and the citizens of Spain should not be held responsible for their government's actions.

You can say pretty much the same thing about Australians, but it didn't stop the bombs going off.

And Gallstaff, christian fundamentalists are just as bad. How's the "War on Terror" been going in Afghanistan and Iraq lately?

God... Muslim fanatics suck. Why can't they be like christian fanatics and just annoy you door to door. What the hell spawns THIS sort of extremists?

Ever heard of 'The Crusades'?

You can say pretty much the same thing about Australians, but it didn't stop the bombs going off.

That's true, but I don't think they were specifically targeting Australians in that attack. More like well-off Western tourists in general. Not that that makes it any better.

Originally posted by it290@Mar 12, 2004 @ 01:33 PM

That's true, but I don't think they were specifically targeting Australians in that attack. More like well-off Western tourists in general. Not that that makes it any better.

No they pretty much wanted as many Aussies to die as they could get and said as much. Until the bombs went off, Bali was probably the #1 holiday destination of young Australians.

AFAIK for those in Western Australia it's closer and cheaper to fly to Bali than it is to the east coast of OZ.

Originally posted by mal+Mar 11, 2004 @ 02:23 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mal @ Mar 11, 2004 @ 02:23 AM)</div><div class='quotemain'> <!--QuoteBegin-it290@Mar 12, 2004 @ 12:11 PM

[/b][/quote]

Weren't the majority of all the populations of the 'coalition of the willing' against the war? I know that was the case in the main participating countries: Britain, Spain, and Australia... hell even the States had large anti-war figures. Unfortunately the Al Qaeda choose their targets based on government policies and not the stance of the people living in the country.

The thing about these kind of attacks is that their intention is to make the government regret their stance, yet really it only solidifies their resolve and sways the population into wanting to take further action. Revenge is enticing, yet it never can fully make up for this kind of loss. My thoughts go out to those families in Spain who lost loved ones in this cowardly attack.

---Ammut

to make a comment the jehova witnesses will never conduct activities like this since they dont even believe in nations the only authority they honor is gods.

🙁

I had a trip to Madrid planned for tomorrow.. just cancelled it now 🙁

I hope there will be no terrorist attacks during EURO2004 (soccer) here in portugal.. (right next to spain) 😱

I am spanish and I live in a town at the south of Madrid. It was a nightmare and the worst is that we do not know who to blame. At the begining everybody thought that ETA did it but now we are not so sure. Nowadays ETA is less powerful than some years ago but they said they wanted to do something before elections (14th of March). If it was caused by AlQaeda, then a lot of people are going to be really frightened (ETA is a known enemy but AlQaeda is more dangerous and it is more unknown by us).

It seems that some people prefer killing than talking. 🙁

Back