Splinter Cell

Well, Splinter Cell : Chaos Theory is coming out in March, so I've been thinking about the Splinter Cell games. At first I really, really hated the game. I hated how linear it was. I wanted to do anything he wanted, not follow a line. So I returned it. A couple months later I bought Xbox controller S, and I found that actually games were much more fun with a streamlined, more ergonomic pad. I tried out Splinter Cell again from a demo disk, and this time around I quite liked it. I got the game again, and beat it.

A year passes, with Pandora Tomorrow out (I was in the Czech Republic during that year) and while I'm home I pull out Splinter Cell again. I liked it even more : the art direction, the music, the mood is very, very nice. The use of shadows is superb. The way I think about Splinter Cell is like how one thinks of Shoot em Ups : Yes, there's not much to do, but that's sort of the point: you have to think quickly, plan ahead knowing what your character can do, and act. And, like with Shoot Em Ups, there is a nice visual treat as a reward.

Something I find a little funny: I actually beat the game without ever cold-cocking an enemy (I would sneak up behind, grab a guy, and then hit him). I didn't do this for challenge: I didn't know you could cold cock a guy! Now that I know this, the game is much easier for me! I must have missed that part during the tutorial.

I have Pandora Tomorrow, but I really dislike it. The whole presentation is too flamboyant, and the jungle setting pisses me off to no end. I just can't see Sam in the middle of a goddamn jungle. He belongs in the shadows, and all that foliage is playing havoc with the framerates. I'm replaying the original on my tricked-out comp, and seeing Sam move at 60 FPS is a sight to see....

But Chaos Theory is being developed my Ubisoft Montreal, the guys who did the original Splinter Cell (Ubisoft Shanghai did PT and Ubisoft Paris did the multiplayer if I'm not mistaken). The graphics look sweet (they are really pushing that ol' Xbox with normal mapping) but all I care about is that Sam is back in frigging shadows, not hopping about in the woods like some jackass named Snake.

What are your guys' thoughts on the series. I figure most of you will hate the games (and I wouldn't blame you). I don't have my Xbox at home, and I'm not buying another copy to play here, hell no, but I'll eventually get around to beating PT, I guess. If they put Sam in a jungle again in CT....well, from the trailer it looks like part of the game be in NYC, so Central Park would be ok.....

I loved the first game, especially with the three additional missions. But Pandora Tomorrow was just so-so. I agree the jungle setting doesn't work with this game, and am hoping Chaos Theory returns to indoor sneaking.

My major problem with the series is that it is very weak in plot development. I've never felt more indifferent towards a character or story in a stealth action game as I did with the Splinter Cell games. Even mediocre stealth games like Manhunt have more engrossing storylines.

I got the GameCube version of the original (The best version of the game), and I love it. Sure, I NEVER play it (I never got past the first level. I just stopped playing, I wasn't stuck or anything), but I still like it a lot.

I'm always debating with Locke which gives more of a stealth feeling and thrill, Splinter Cell, or his beloved Metal Gear. I think Splinter Cell provides more of a thrill than that of MG/MGS.

i played scpt i played up to i think the subway level(or maybe the one after) then just stopped playing. i didn't really like it i also got annoyed with it then just stopped. i have to agree the plot sucked and it was basically just here's another level for you to go through and another and another. i really have no clue what the story was about actually.

I didn't like PT either. I enjoyed the first one, but PT was just boring, and the ending was done in a rush ...

Originally posted by Supergrom@Thu, 2005-01-20 @ 02:21 PM

i got the first one when Ubi soft was doing the promotion where you get it for free when you bought Prince of Persia. I loved Prince of Persia and hated splinter cell. it just wasnt any fun for me. beautiful, but not much fun.

[post=128123]Quoted post[/post]​

Same here (I had never played either. PoP was Game of The Year in all the the magazines (EGM, OPM, OXM, among others I think PSM was the only one not to give it game of the year), and Splinter Cell I had heard a lot of good things about. So I went for it).

I love 'em both, although I hardly play 'em (My friend beat PoP with my copy on my 'Cube, and played a few levels of Splinter Cell.. and he hates the 'Cube. He just liked the games. He went apeshit when he picked up his copy of the sequel for 'Box).

Wow.. That was a lot of rambling in paranthesis...

I've only played the GC demo for the first one.

I really wanted to like it.

I has some really nice features, but, yes it is very linear.

I didn't feel like it let you be very creative. That alone took away a lot of realism.

I don't think I would buy it.

I find MGS a lot more interesting. SC was far too serious and more boring as a result. There was little variety in the game and it got dull pretty quickly.

What's really nice is that for all of the Splinter Cell games, Ubisoft has developed each port specifically for the target console, meaning that they created new game engines to take advantage of each system's capabilities. While it must be really time-consuming, it's a nice thought and it really pays off. I also played the GC demo version of SC and while it doesn't look as good at the Xbox version, what they were able to do with the GC hardware was amazing. You should see what they are doing with PS2 version on CT! It looks just like the Xbox version in screenshots, and I'm not kidding.

Back