Strange Genesis Board?

I opened up my Genesis 1 console to install a switch. I used the images on this site and one other to walk me through the modification.

The board is different from the pictures. There's a capacitor (?) connecting J2. I opened up my Mega Drive and it has the same capacitor on J1. I can't tell from the single pic on DjoeN's site how the little thingy connects to the mod.

So, do I just solder to the capacitor?

Do I need to apply tape beneath the connection?

I am confused by this little capacitor thing. It would seem to make the switch useless because the connection will always be there. Do I break one end off?

Also, I am under the assumtion (and advice of others in another thread) that I only need to be concerned with J1 and J2 to play Japanese and Hong Kong games with terriroty lock-out in the programs. Is this correct?

Why does it seem to me that all the tech-heads are in europe? All the mod pics and faqs I find are from overseas, and the information is sometimes difffrent for US systems.
sad.gif

try switching Jp2 on/off to see if it works, cut the trace if needed. it should do. if not, remove the cap and try switching JP1.

Originally posted by Arakon@Jun 13, 2003 @ 01:36 AM

try switching Jp2 on/off to see if it works, cut the trace if needed. it should do. if not, remove the cap and try switching JP1.

Wait wait wait.

From what I understand this was my goal:

Connect J1 and J2 on one side... this line wound run to the "center" of the switch.

connect single wires to the matching sides of J1 and J2, each leading to one end of the switch.

IF you look at DjoeN's page and the the FAQ here, it seems simple enough. But it doesn't explain what that little capacitor (?) thing is supposed to do in relation to the mod. It says "Don't remove the blue thing". Does that mean I just solder to it? The connection would still be there, right?

I am afraid to cut it, and I KNOW most of the people here must have modded genesis systems. How did it work out?

it's been forever since I modded a genny 1, but as I recall you simply use the other jumper (the one without cap, in your case JP2). there is no need to link any jumper points together, you just connect one side of JP2 to the other with the switch. one side goes to the center pin, the other to one of the outter pins. cut the trace if there is one, tho.

don't worry, if it doesn't work that way, it won't damage the genny as long as you don't leave it running if it shows a black screen or doesn't even turn on.

Back