The Phantasy Star Series

Greetings,

I've been wondering about the interest for the classic Phantasy Star games. Do people still play the classic PS games? Are there still interest for the upcoming Phantasy Star Trilogy game (the PS 1, 2 and 4 remake, released in Japan as PS Generation 1 and 2)?

I have noticed that the PS community has been pretty dead the past months.

I am myself a webmaster of a major Phantasy Star site (PS Cave). I've been working on a huge update the past months and have temporally closed down the boards there (which will be back online in a week).

Merry Christmas,

--// Missagh Alami

I'm still anticipating Phantasy Star Universe, although it doesn't look half as good as I thought it might be. I also enjoy playing PS2,3, and 4 from time to time (don't have a copy of PS 1). I'll buy the 'Trilogy' if it ever comes out in the US, but I've kind of lost faith in that at this point.

I will definatly be buying Phantasy Star Universe!

I am also anticipating the trilogies release... but like it290 said, I won't be surprised if it doesn't make it.

The first Phantasy Star I played was part 2, which I thought was fun. Never got into 3 or 4, but the next one I played was the gamecube version of PSO 1&2. Great game, buggy, and hacked - so, while it's not too bad of a game, the few bugs and hacked have ruined any online fun out of it.

I also beta tested PSO blue burst. It was better, but now they're taking away any/all offline aspects to the game. When the game is hacked or the servers go down for good, the game will be useless, unless someone makes a hacked server and crack for it. I've played on a few of these hacked servers for the original PC version of PSO, and they were just too laggy to play on however.

It sucks that they are skipping the gamecube and releasing PSO universe on the ps2 and pc only. I don't know if I'll get that one or not.

27 at the moment. and till this day PS 2 to me is still the BEST rpg I have ever played hands down. Everytime I play an RPG I compare it to PS 2 and none ever live up to it. Either I am just jaded biased or old school, nothing bears PS 2 period !

As for Universe that is comming out, I was highly disappointed that it's going to be kinda like PSO for the dreamcast, least thats what I read. I was hoping for a more traditional PS game than the newer types.

As for interest, I just bought a gameboy advance for the sole purpose of buying PS collection. I don't know how I have gone all these years without playing PS 1 and I even owned a Master system when it came out ! So my interest is still there !

Best rpg's ever !

Sega consoles > all !

Aside from Phantasy Star IV, the older Phantasy Star games don't hold up well to the test of time. While I have fond memories, I can't say I'm willing to play through Phantasy Star I through III again. Some said that Phantasy Star Online was repetitive, but apparently their memory is kind of selective since I recall some major level-up battling going on in the classic games too, heh...

I'm extremely excited about Phantasy Star Universe and already have it pre-ordered. Unlike Phantasy Star Online, it aims to deliver a fully-fledged character driven storyline. Personally though, I'm more interested in the online mode for some fun gaming with friends... the story-intensive offline mode comes as a bonus.

Here's some fancy concept art that I resized and collected from Takao Miyoshi's blog for Phantasy Star Universe:

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

Nice concept art. The characters look pretty cool for the most part, but I still think the main character looks too Square-ish...

For what its worth, that hair style was dropped, probably because he looked like a red-headed Tidus.

At any rate... for those of you who haven't seen these, some videos:

The World of PSU video

The Battle of PSU video

The Network of PSU video

Character Showcase Trailer

This is pretty much Sega's big RPG for this generation of consoles. They deliver only one per console generation... while most of what Sega's released lately has been lackluster, keep in mind... a lot of that stuff, particularly the Sonic games has been helping Sega write black ink since ditching the Dreamcast. Phantasy Star Universe, unlike a lot of other games in their lineup, has been under development for three years. This game's going to be awesome, since unlike Phantasy Star Online, it wasn't rushed out to release.

Just to note that I met a Sega game tester at the end of 2004, who had tested PSU. He even had a two hour VHS tape of his testing time (which he didn't show me, since he knew I would spread the info to the public about it =) ). Anyway, what he could say was that it was a excellent game. He was way more impressed by it than PSO. He also mentioned that the plot was very good.

So im really looking forward to play it.

I also wish that when PS G3 is released in Japan, there will be a Trilogy release.

Back