Tsunami Victims Suing US, France, and Thailand

it seems like some rich families want comp for their relatives death. so it's all about the dollar to me. i mean if warnings were given from the US then we're clear but i mean if what it said that the thai government just sat on the info then ya they should be held somewhat accountable for that. But who ever the 40 families are they're probably all rich fucks so screw them.

It doesn't appear that they're suing for money at all, at least according to the quote in the article. Also, the French government is not being sued -- just a French company. Anyway, if information was withheld, that fact needs to be made public.

It doesn't appear that they're suing for money at all, at least according to the quote in the article. Also, the French government is not being sued -- just a French company. Anyway, if information was withheld, that fact needs to be made public.

I agree. If the time period between the earthquake and when the waves ran on shore was within a short time span, I would say that there is no liability on the part of anyone. However, if the possibility of a tsunami was know hours before the actual event and an investigation turns up the fact that no one with a responsibility to make these alerts did anything, then there certainly a case for negligence.

The case will likely come down to what obligation agencies from one nation have in alerting other nations regarding natural disasters. My guess is that they'll look at these three things in determining it:

-Were any of the agencies UN-appointed to act as a worldwide head?

-Do they collaborate on a multi-national basis daily?

-Do they recieve funding from multiple countries or the UN?

Even if these were true or false though, could they still be considered negligent? If only a handful of nations were notified and others were ignored, then perhaps. But even with that, it could be difficult.

Back