VCS32 Atari 2600 Emu on Saturn

vbt

Staff member
It's just a quick port with not yet paddle support. I expected it would run at full speed with no more work but it work so slowly :S I did some tries to improve it without success. I get 8-10 FPS witout frameskip.

Attachments

• a2600.jpg
    a2600.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 114
  • pitfall.jpg
    pitfall.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 69
2600 isn't as easy as the simple graphics suggest. ;)

The main problem is that the CPU and video timing are closely interconnected. Even when writing programs for it, it's basically necessary to count CPU cycles as you go...

Hey, a new emulator running on Saturn, cool :) ! Eight to ten FPS is actually not that bad. (no framskip!) The incredible speed of SMS Plus port is not representative for the average emu running on Saturn. You can't expect the work of some days be as fast as the work of several years.

RockinB said:
Hey, a new emulator running on Saturn, cool :) ! Eight to ten FPS is actually not that bad. (no framskip!) The incredible speed of SMS Plus port is not representative for the average emu running on Saturn. You can't expect the work of some days be as fast as the work of several years.

Sure but expected a better result a A2600 is not a SMS. Ex-Cyber is right CPU and video are linked. I forget to say with a calling alays the frameskip function (update just register) I get 30 fps. I may try other cpu core(nes6502 ?) and at least make pc version for debug. Anyway, it was funny and if all GP32 sources are like this, I'm sure there are many stuff to port and the CPU is big endian like the Saturn. :)

Back