Virtua Fighter: Cyber Generation (PS2/GC)

From slashdot.org:

Thanks to IGN PS2 for their information on the unveiling of Sega's Virtua Fighter Cyber Generation for PlayStation 2/GameCube, as the semi-secret game formerly known as Virtua Fighter Quest "takes the form of an action-RPG title, rather than a versus fighter." 1UP also has a preview and in-game screenshots of the game, now due in Japan in Summer 2004, which "on the surface... seems to have only a passing connection to the original Virtua Fighter games." However, it turns out the teenage lead characters are collecting 'Virtua Souls', which "...contain fighting data from legendary fighters of old who took part in a tournament to name the world's best fighter", and when you "collect a Virtua Soul... you'll end up being able to perform a special skill, recognizable as moves from the Virtua Fighter series."

After waiting so long for concrete news and screenshots, these have left me a bit confused.. Not what I was expecting at all.

Ah well, I'm sure it'll still be good.

As much as I'd love to believe that.. It's got to be a typo, hasn't it?

Just reading on Spong that there's a bit of confusion as to whether this is VF Quest or something else completely, and I read a few days back that the first VF Quest images would be shown on December 12th so now I'm even more confused.

I'd gladly take 2 spin-off games though :D

*pisses pants* dreamcast version? Saweet.

doubtful though <_<

What happened to this being a GC exclusive? Thats the main thing that has me thinking that this shouldn't be VF Quest... along with the fact that for having quest in the works for quite some time with building hype, this is a small and sad release. Could be that i wanted more from Vf Quest then whats shown, but knowing high priority Sega titles, this should turn out to be a gem. I guess we'll see as time goes on...

Just my 2 cents though. And thats Canadian cash, so about 1.4 american cents...

---Ammut

So it definately is VF Quest then. I could probably punch myself in the face right now.

Another classic PR disaster for Sega, a lot of people are gonna be very pissed about this since it was generally believed that it was going to something like Shenmue with VF characters. Granted, Sega never said that but they've let the hype build over the last couple of years only to disappoint.

I'm sure the game will be OK, but it's not anywhere near what I (and most others) were expecting :(

Never get your hopes up..

Well, I take anything coming from Sponge with a HUGE grain of salt, a fancy looking layout certainly doesn't make them any more reliable. Especially since they're already calling it the most disappointing SEGA game ever, before they've even played it. Sounds a lot like a game for the GC that had fans in an uproar just because it didn't look like they wanted it to.

I'll wait 'till I've actually played the game before I make a judgement call, this is AM2 were talking about here.

Originally posted by Mr. Moustache@Dec 3, 2003 @ 06:15 AM

Well, I take anything coming from Sponge with a HUGE grain of salt, a fancy looking layout certainly doesn't make them any more reliable. Especially since they're already calling it the most disappointing SEGA game ever, before they've even played it. Sounds a lot like a game for the GC that had fans in an uproar just because it didn't look like they wanted it to.

I'll wait 'till I've actually played the game before I make a judgement call, this is AM2 were talking about here.

Spong is usually pretty reliable once you tone down their exaturation.

I can't remember any of their news that didn't really come to be.

Back