What was your worst game shopping experience EVER?

racketboy

Established Member
I know there are lots of horror stories out there for buying games and game-related stuff -- both online and off.

Details please!

Luckly I haven't personally had too much trouble.

The worst would have to be the "Game Recyclery" (I think that's what it's called)

I found them through Amazon's site a long time ago and saw they had some fairly cheap prices on Genesis games.

I ordered a whole bunch along with a Genesis fighting joystick and some other controllers.

I was really ticked to find out most of the games were carts only and quite beat up.

Also, the joystick was a cheap, beatup 3rd party controller instead of the 1st party controller they had listed.

Most of the other controllers had sticky buttons.

If my memory serves me correctly, I tried sending back the joystick for a refund and never got anything back.

Boy that sucked...

Anybody else?

To numerous to count. Many though had nothing to do with the games themselves, but the service I received.

-----------

Most recent problem was when I bought my HDTV. I rushed right out to get the component cables for my XBOX, first stop was Target. I begin hunting with no avail, finally I approach someone (as they only looked in my direction and probably thought, "uh oh, hardcore gamer, avoid at all cost). I ask where the kid if they have comp cables for the XBOX. He looks at me cautiosuily then finally says, "yeah, right this way." I follow and he picks up a RF-composite converter. I say NO the y/Pb/Pr cables, you know for HDTV. He then grabs S-video. I just tell him if he doesn't know then just tell me and I walked out.

I head to a couple other stores like Wal-Mart and Toys-R-Us and no one knows what I am talking about. FINALLY I give in and go to Gamestop (I hate them for their service), even there! Yes even at a game store the kids had no idea what I am talking about. Atleast I located them on my own and shoved them in his face. "OHHHHH, the 3wire RCA cables... I see." he says, fuckin' momo.

-----------

Another Gamestop I went too dissed me a couple times (once about PDS, the kid thought he know so much about the game. He tried convincing me that it was A) NOT made by SEGA and B) was the last game made for the Saturn). Well this other time there I walk in and do my usual thing of looking through games when this girl comes upto me...

G: "your that kid who used to wear Duct Tape pants."

D: "Yeah, the names Dylan."

G: "Get out of this store now!"

D: "WHAT! WHY?"

G: "You broke my friends heart, you fucked her and left her. She really liked you!"

D: "Huh, what the hell are you talking about?"

G: "[some random name I don't know], ring a bell?"

D: "nope"

G: "She is spanish..." along with other random things about her.

D: "ermm, never screwed a spanish chic, also I wouldn't do that to anyone, I let them know ahead of time."

I was kicked out of the Gamestop anyways. GRRRRRR! I was planning on buying Grandia for the PSX that day too!

------------

Now im all upset... So I need to toss in a happy story.

When I drove truck I stopped by a real FUNCOLAND up in Connecticut. I happend across a kid I went to middle school who worked there. He first got pissed because I convinced this family to buy a Dreamcast over some other console I dont remember. My highest selling point was Marvel Vs. Capcom 2 (this was back when it just came out). They bought it and the kid was upset cause he was trying to sell them on the other system (what the fuck, it aint like they work on commision). So we now get on a talk about MvsC2 and he is going on about how he can kick all ass in the game. I tell him I do not believe and could probably win. He gocked at me and challenged me to a dual. wager is that if I win I get to buy as much as I want with a huge discount (I think it was something like 40-50%).

I kicked his ass 5 rounds in a row! I bought like 8 video games, a controller, and a mem card!!! YEY!

Worst experiences? Well, one was eBay, when I ordered three new DC games and they never showed up. (I believe they were stolen somewhere along the way while enroute, in the mail. The seller had over 4000 positive feedback and I don't think they'd screw someone over at that point for three Dreamcast games and $60.)

But the worst one in a store? I'm not a big fan of Gamestop, and I wasn't a big fan of Funcoland before Gamestop bought them. Here's why. Way in the back of the store, they'd had one small shelf with some Saturn games on it. Usualy, they were all crappy sports titles or things like Revolution X. One time I notice that there's a case back there for Panzer Dragoon. I grab it and bring it up to the counter, ready to buy it. Dude behind the counter's name tag says "STORE MANAGER" on it. He takes the case, looks at it, and sets it down under the counter. He tells me that he can't sell any Saturn games because they're sending them all back to their warehouse. Okay, bullshit number one, they didn't have a warehouse, they had a distribution center that supplied them with new product. Bullshit number two, even if they'd gotten an order to send all the Saturn games to the distribution center, he was still able to sell any games they had in stock up until he removed them from the shelf and processed them as "send to DC." I've worked similar retail places enough to know that. The guy was just an asshole who didn't want to have to dig out the small box of Saturn discs from under the register.

I made a trade with this asshole

I sent him...

a 3rd party psone lcd and a dc coder's cable

He was supposed to send me..

neogeo pocket color w/ worm light, rumble+recharge+stereo pack

Metal slug on Neogeo Pocket

and a genesis 3 with two 6button genesis controllers.

I've been sending this dumbass some hatemail since early march.... Still waiting....

shitty experience...

Yeah, where do they live??? I'll do it for ya!

It's not the cost of the plane ticket... its the moral standards here, you must prove a point that you are not one to mess with!

Oh, I'm am in such kinda horror story just right now.

I ordered Mario64 DS from this online store. It has been a month already, shoul've been here 2 weeks ago. Someone remind me never take the free shipping...

The package just vanished somewhere in the post service, and the store is sending it again (since they confirmed the tracking ID they were given does not work).

I wonder why the heavens put all this trouble upon me... I am buying a game for the first time on this century, after years of ROMs and ISOs! And it is not used either!

Seems the dark side is always easier... my flashcart was delivered in mere 2 days.

I haven't had too many horror experiences... I have 2 that I can recall off the top of my head:

1. I ordered a lot of 18saturn games for like 50bux, good deal, there was plenty of crap mixed in with the good, but the good made up for it. anyways, I got the shit in the mail, lots of them didn't have cases, I got games I didn't order, and was missing games that I did, I had instruction books for shit that wasn't there, and they were all scratched to holy hell(some even had bubbles in the plastic of the disc, making them undreadable). I got my money back and kept the games though and bought a used DC, so that worked out fine with me :)

2. My worst experience so far.. I don't remember who I ordered it from it was so long ago, but it was from an ad in a gamepro. Anyways, I ordered PDS right when it came out, I'd been trying to find places that actually had it in stock. This place had it so I ordered it right away, the package was shipped and all seemed well until I recieved a smaller than normal box in the mail. I thought to myself, "That seems far too small for a Saturn case to fit into". I open it up and and low and behold it was Azel: Panzer Dragoon RPG... The sons of bitches sent me the jap version! I was flamed, but of course they didn't have the american version to replace it(by this time noone did) so I just kep it(they did offer me money back though). Still pisses me off to this day though.

I pre-order Resident Evil 4 so I could get the demo disc. They never called, though I knew it was in. When I finally had time to go in, they told me they only hold for 30 days. After that they return the credits to their corporate office, who destroys them.

This all happened at my friendly neighborhood GS. This was the final straw for me.

I haven't had too many bad experiences with video game companies.

The first was probably EB Games. A long time ago, I went to sell them my sega cd collection. This is when sega cds were still being sold on retail store shelves. I think it was around 50 games, including some of the expensive RPGS (lunar, shining force, vay, dungeon explorer) and more. They offered me $17.50 for all of them. The girl at the store said "Let me get you the money," and I just grabbed up the games, and she said "What's wrong? You don't want to sell them now?" I don't remember what I said, but I grabbed them up and left.

The second is probably playthegames.com, a game company that has had probably 5 different company names, and used to be one of the largest sellers of backup cd-r games. Anyway, they were having one of their big pre-order sales. They were expecting a lot of import sega saturn systems, and they decided to add a large package of like a pro action replay 4-M PLUS, 5-6 new games, the skeleton saturn system, and game gun, all new for like $279.

A few weeks after ordering it, they sent me the system and a pro action replay. I emailed them, asking them where the game gun and games were, and their reply was "there's nothing else included in this package." Well, the sale page was still on their site, listing all of the stuff. So, I decided to save the page, incase they tried to change it, and then after various emails back and forth, they basically said "Send the package back to us, and we'll send you another package when we get them."

I really didn't like the way everything was going. So, I filed a complaint to the better business bureau, and after about two months, playthegames.com sent a reply "We were waiting for the games to arrive before sending out them to the customer." This was a bunch of bull, and they eventually sent me the games, a USED game gun, and another pro action replay bootleg, that wasn't a 4-meg plus.

Third incident was from pre-ordering a game from amazon.com. I pre-ordered PSO when it was first coming out on the cube. They basically said it would be shipped to arrive on or just before/after the release date. Anyway, probably a month after pre-ordering, amazon sent me an email saying that they have run out of stock, and kept pushing back the date that they would have any. I complained to them, and all they did was say "Since you're having a problem with us, we'll give shipping and handling free of charge." I waited a little longer, PSO never arrived, and eventually, cancelled the order and ordered it elsewhere.

The last one I can think of right now, I ordered some mega cds from another online shop a few years ago. Waited about 6 months, then got an email from them, saying the games weren't in stock lol.

Back