Who likes the idea of .........

I know that there have been several contests and such on here, with programming games, etc, but I have an idea about another contest, to do a remixed soundtrack in surround sound, and what better format to do it on than the sega cd system?

Here are some reasons why I think it would be a neat concept. First of all, it's an older system and unlike some of the other cd systems, there have been no surround sound soundtracks on any of the games available.

This would require selecting a game that had redbook sound format for the songs, and then either remix them, or create it from scratch. With new versions of cakewalk producer out (4.x) which include surround sound support built in, there's no reason not to use the technology. If you can get the dolby pro logic addon, you can save it straight to a normal wave format. If not, it could be saved as multifiles or ac-3 riff audio waves, and then sent to someone who has the dolby pro logic converter.

Dolby Pro Logic is compatible with stereo and therefore would still be playable through a normal stereo, unlike ac-3 or dts, which you woulnd't be able to use on a sega cd system anyway.

Let me know what you all think, if you're interested, or if you have any concerns. We would probably need atleast 4 or 5 entries, and those people would most likely need some type of surround decoder, if it was on their computer sound card or a pro logic receiver.

ermmm... problem. THE SEGA CD DOESN'T DO SURROUND SOUND!

It only does Stereo and Q-Sound (which is simulated surround sound on stereo speakers, sounds really good actually). Some games do use the Q-Sound, Ecco Tides of Time, Sonic CD are a couple to name.

Then again I may be mistaken...

Dolby Pro Logic uses a stereo signal, and from what I understand, is the exact same thing as redbook audio sound, with the exception of advanced panning and frequency effects. So, all cd-rom based systems support it, as long as they output a stereo signal, which i believe all do, including the sega cd system.

Yes it may use a stereo connection... but the ProLogic info is put "out of phase" in the .wav file or on the CD or whatnot you use as media. The receiver then has to decode the Prologic info. The Sega CD does not have a prologic decoder....

unless you aren't going to be playing the music on the sega cd?

The Sega CD's stereo RCA outputs would plug into a Pro Logic receiver, or a sound card that is surround compatible, and that would decode the signal.

I've only been able to find two product that will convert 5.1 into dolby pro logic ii, one which is freeware but I couldn't get to work, called besweet, and the other, surcode for dolby pro logic ii, which is used with programs like cakewalk. It cost around $500. So, if anyone knows any other programs that work (free), let me know.

OK, with the lack of responses, my guess is that not many people here have (choose one or more): #1: music/mixing experience, #2: pro logic receivers or compatible sound card, #3: interest in messing with sega cd systems any more.

I just thought it would have been a good chance to give some people a chance at doing something productive in the classic scene that have no art or programming knowledge/experience, and to give the winner(s) some nice prizes.

So, I hereby withdraw the offer of doing a DPL sound contest with sega cd games, unless/until more people are interested.

Yeah actually, Snatcher and Ecco sound quite good w/Pro Logic (II) in movie mode, and a lot of SCD games sound excellent in music mode. Music mode usually does a good job of making sound effects come from the center channel while playing the music in the l/r and surrounds.

Sounds like a cool contest, but I have no music or coding skills. If someone wants to work on a SCD game, I'm a competent pixeller.

"Sounds like a cool contest, but I have no music or coding skills. If someone wants to work on a SCD game, I'm a competent pixeller."

True? =D

We are searching for one artistic director for the tavern RPG...

Héhé. Tons of things to draw there 😀 if you dare 🙂

Back