WTF!?! crazy multiplier shit...

Pearl Jammzz

Established Member
SO I was lookin at my bios for fun today and came across sumthin weird. In the multiplier menu thing, at the bottom is 12.5x, but if u go to the top of the menu it goes 13.0x, 13.5x, 14.0x, 14.5x then I believe 7.5/15.0x. WTF does that mean? Is the 13.0x faster (it should be, but why is it placed at the TOP of the menu?) and the bigger Q here, WTF is the 7.5/15.0x? I am runnin a barton 2500+ and a asus a7n8x....Can anyone fill me in?

If I had to guess, it's probably to discourage people from clocking their processor up that high. Set it on 15.0x and watch the chip explode out of the side of the case, that would be cool.

That was my guess, but why the 7.5/15.0x? I am still pretty confused on that one. *waits for sumone like excyber to come along and spread his vast knowledge*

It's simple really. Originally the multiplier was a 4 bit value which gave you a max of 16 values. But because new processors are going beyond what the original 16 values can provide they have wrapped around to the first numbers (hence why they appear first) and with the addition of an extra flag in the cpu let the mobo display the correct multipliers. It's not some scheme to prevent overclocking. It's just the way these values are encoded.

Back